De-worming chickens.

what do you put in their water to de worm i was thinking vinnagar buy no they wouldnt drink their water if i tried....
sickbyc.gif
Vinegar won't kill worms.
Use a chemical wormer if you want results

Anyone have answers to my ? Post # 80......Thanks!
Here you go:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html
Quote: Provide medicated water only, distributed in waterers sufficient in number so that all birds or animals have access to water.

The medicated water should be consumed in 1 day or less.

Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle.

Flock Master.....If I put wazine in my chickens water how long do I leave it 1 day?,It don't say on the bottle I have 2 adult hens 1 blk sex link 1 silky,and 14 chicks10 weeks old 2 are crossed blk sex link+silky and the other 12 are silky, I let them out to free rang during the day they seem to drink the water in the pen when they go in in the afternoon, How can I be sure? Is there any way to give each one the wazine another way ,I've only noticed a worm in the blk sex link hen,it was a long skinny worm. Thanks so much for your time.
I just read the label on the bottle:

Remove the water at night, then provide treated water the next morning. Provide enough to last the whole day. Repeat in 30 days.

This only treats round worms. You might need Valbazen for broader coverage.

Ahhhhh!!! So confused! Wazine or no Wazine before Valbazen? I have about 85 chickens I raised and are around 8 months old. They were laying and have slacked off considerably and looking a little pale and rough so I am doing my fall cleaning of the coop and dusting and worming. They free range during the day.

Question #1 Do I have to give Valbazen individually or is there any way to dose the entire flock at once?

Question #2 How do you dose a large number of chickens individually?

So looking forward to answers from those that are managing large flocks.

jo

Ahhhhh!!! So confused! Wazine or no Wazine before Valbazen? I have about 85 chickens I raised and are around 8 months old. They were laying and have slacked off considerably and looking a little pale and rough so I am doing my fall cleaning of the coop and dusting and worming. They free range during the day.

Question #1 Do I have to give Valbazen individually or is there any way to dose the entire flock at once?

Question #2 How do you dose a large number of chickens individually?

So looking forward to answers from those that are managing large flocks.

jo

I faced similar questions. THe answers are all in here if you read the entire thread.

Wazine can be "fed " to the whole flock in water for one day.

Wazine is not the same chemical as Valbazen. Wazine is the only wormer approved for chickens; all others are used in anoff lable manner. NOthing wrong with that.

For individual feeding of some wormers that are a paste, put single dose on a peice of bread and feed one peice to each bird. Not having done this myself yet, but imagining the flock behavior when I have something good, it is a free for all. Some birds are likely to get missed and others double dosed. My suggstion would be to break them down into manageable groups before bringing out the prepped goodies. I have visions of a tray with bread and smeared wormer arranged like h'orderves. THe goal is to get a serving to every bird.

Wazine v. Valbazen and the timing issue. THe old theory was to rotate the wormers. Meaning you need to know the chemical name of the wormer not just the brand name, and then know which class of wormers it belongs to. Because the wormers of the same class function the same, it is NOT rotating wormers if the wormers all come fromthe same class. Rotating means changing the class of wormer.

THe easiest diagrams are for the horse wormers-- to see the relationships.

Idealy you want to be able to test each bird to know the parasite load and the effect of the wormer. I personally plan to invest in a microscope and paraphialia and do my own. You can then target the birds that have the greatest loads and also see if th wormer is knocking downt he parasite load. Eventually the wormers will not work, and we are seeing that in various areas of the country. Itis not the wormer isn't good but that the worms have become resistent.

Long term my plans are to work toward birds that are naturally resistant. By checking the loads I can determine which birds to breed.

Also management is a key factor; if the birds are rotated on a r egular basis to a different area every 7 days and don't return to the original space for a month, this also breaks the parasite cycle and therefore dewormers are not as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom