De-worming chickens.

Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer, Jefferslivestock.com carries it. For your small birds, dose orally 1/4cc to each bird. Redose them again 10 days later. Standard size birds 1/2cc orally, redose again in 10 days.

In post #50 it says to mix Valbazen with water.  Which is the correct way, undiluted or diluted?  Thanks

Dawg53 gives the correct way. I've never heard of mixing Valbazen with water until reading post #50.

Most of the info in post #50 is correct, there's a couple that arnt. Valbazen can be administered as mentioned, supposedly for better gut coverage. Undiluted works just as well, less liquid for the bird to swallow without worrying if it goes down the windpipe causing the bird to aspirate.

I have problems with birds aspirating fluid I'm trying to get them to swallow. I don't care if it's a baby, a grown chicken, or a cockatiel, they all seem to want to breathe in the stuff rather than swallow it. If it cuts down on the chances of aspiration, I'm all for it! And just to clarify, I'm dripping it into the mouth, not trying to force it down in each case. Not all of them do that, but most seem to.

Last edited:
Hi All you caring Chicken Lovers,
i have been reading for days now. Am a caregiver for mom and am with her 24-7--So sitting with computer safe for her But i also need to worm those feather sweethearts- will do wazin first-easy to do with water. I ordered oxine and safeguard also(thanks for links) hoping to do safequard in water mix as not sure on ability for time for catching each one etc,, If it will never work than will do as i can, but would love some easier avenue. Thank you All!wit gratitude, chickenfun(now with ?)

Hi All you caring Chicken Lovers,
i have been reading for days now. Am a caregiver for mom and am with her 24-7--So sitting with computer safe for her But i also need to worm those feather sweethearts- will do wazin first-easy to do with water. I ordered oxine and safeguard also(thanks for links) hoping to do safequard in water mix as not sure on ability for time for catching each one etc,, If it will never work than will do as i can, but would love some easier avenue. Thank you All!wit gratitude, chickenfun(now with ?)
How do you know your birds will drink the treated water, and if they do drink, will they drink enough of it to be effective? Birds also drink less in cooler temps. Sick birds drink little if any at all.

Hi Dawg53,
First, thank you for answering- i have read your posts and you always make sense. So will do one coop at a time (have them divided for biosecurity and rooster territory) as time allows.
Hopefully that will work for them.
btw- am in Quincy Fl.

Hi Dawg53,
First, thank you for answering- i have read your posts and you always make sense. So will do one coop at a time (have them divided for biosecurity and rooster territory) as time allows.
Hopefully that will work for them.
btw- am in Quincy Fl.
Yeah, if you got alot of chickens with seperate pens/coops, it's easiest to worm one group at a time, or perhaps a few weeks down the road as not to lose total egg production due to withdrawal periods...that's what I do. There's nothing saying that they all have to be wormed at once, especially if they are seperated. I live just north of Jax, I see you just past Tally.

Thanks for the info. I just found white dots in my chickens poops and they started moving. I can't find anyone in Sacramento, CA who sells Valbazen (albendazole). Bummed.

Back
Top Bottom