Dead chicken

Thanks, me too. We miss her. She was large and in charge...our first one to lay. Her name was Ethel.

My husband said that it looked like she was in the middle of her dust bath when it happened. Upon inspection, he found that she had what looked like dirt in her mouth and nose. I wonder if she could have asphyxiated in the dirt? My husband is wracking his brain trying to figure out what "he" could have done wrong. He buried her in the back yard.
Oh my, Sorry to you too!

welcome-byc.gif

I would have to see the damage to give an opinion

Thanks, Gander007. She looked normal, except for the dirt in her nostrils and mouth. There were no other outward signs. I just don't know.

Last edited:
Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I could be blowout. Where the uterus doesn't retract. The other chickens could have attacked it and caused a hemorrhage. Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Yes, a woman my husband was talking to at the tractor supply store said that one of her chickens had an egg explode inside her. There was no blood or any signs that there was an altercation. Also, she was my big cheese and none of the others messed with her. My boss, who grew up on a farm in Texas, said it could have been her heart. Either way, we'll never know. I just hope it was quick for our Ethel. Thank you for your kind words, Nicky.

Back
Top Bottom