Dead raccoon

BankerJohn

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Lecanto, Florida
Caught one last night in the trap. I thought about whether to relocate it but then felt it would be wrong to move this problem on someone else.

Post hole digger and a .22 quickly eliminated a future threat.

I think that's the best thing to do. We've had several cases of racoons in this area carrying rabies again. Just be sure when handling an animal like tht to wear gloves. Dead or alive if the blood or saliva is still warm and gets into a cut or scratch there's a possibility of transference.

Yep, same thing I do. Just be careful, as I have had a bullet hit the cage wire and go flying out the side. I have taken to opening the cage and shooting them as they come out, as you also don't have to clean blood off the cage this way.

As a former wildlife rehabber, I can tell you it is more humane to kill them then relocate them. It's very cruel to take them away from their family and dump them where they don't know where to get food, and whose territory they are in. Best thing, if you can, is to keep dog, cat, rabbit, and people food inside. Remember, too, if you trap them and scare them, they may not be back to bother you anyway. Good luck. My chicks will be outside in a few weeks, and I am nervous. A hawk came swooping into my yard last evening and tried to grab one of them. My chicks were, luckily, in a dog run with a top and he couldn't get to them. Scary! I never thought a hawk would do that with my dogs in the yard!

got a possum last night too. Same MO... Post hole digger and .22

I would have rather used the gun below to shoot them, but I'm borrowing the animal loving neighbors have a hart live trap. She said that she would relocate them instead of me shooting them. I had to use the .22 to keep the noise to a minimum.

53005_pix649597531.jpg

My dog got in a fight with a racoon last night!!! He was barking and barking and I looked outside, and there was big momma, eating my cats food! My dog would not give him an out, and they had quote a brawl! My dog can barely walk today. He's 15!! I should take my own advice and bring the food in at night!
Best of luck with the exterminating!!!

What are you using to bait the traps. Im picking up a live trap later. The past week the raccoons have been ripping the tops off my food bins. Ive got them bungee corded now, but now they have moved on to trying to get the birds. I had a silkie hen up in a wire stilt pen and the ripped a hole in the chicken wire, about the size of a ladies fist and ripped some of her tailfeathers out. Luckly they didnt get to her.

It is illegal to transport wildlife to property other than where you find it.
If you trap, kill it.
Nature isn't tidy or sanitized.
Simple laws, really. Kill or die.
It is life lesson to teach.
Values and ethics education.

I think anyone raising chickens learns the lesson: "How bad do you want to raise chickens?"
Do you want it bad enough to take a life? At some point, even in urban setting- some critter will push you to the line...are you able and willing to defend the chickens? At what length will you go? Shovel? BB's? 22? 12 gauge?

I had to answer that question myself so I wasn't a hypocrite to eat meat.
It is hypocrisy to eat meat, yet not be willing to do the dirty work of killing the animal.
Not only do I think it is unethical/cowardly to trap a predator and release it to be someone elses problem, it is ILLEGAL to transport wildlife to another location. If you live in city- taking a coon to the country is stupid and illegal.

Are you willing to do the dirty work, or do you call the "sanitation department" or animal control to do your dirty work?
Personally, I trap, then shoot with apologies to every life that is dispatched.
Every life is sacred to me.
I have answered the questions so I sleep at night...
literally...nothing worse than waking up to squawking chickens under attack from a coon!

Back
Top Bottom