Death From Above!

UrbanScratch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Hawk!

I live in a neighborhood that has a birds of prey problem. Big time. The guy down the street from me lost twenty chickens before he was able to catch and release 2 hawks.

Without having to "deal" with the hawks on my own, how prone to an attack am I with my dog in the back yard with my chickens all day? He's pretty neurotic anyways, walking back and forth across the yard because he thinks he hears the mailman all day. And highly visible because he is all white and fluffy, about 35lbs. Do you think this gives me an advantage?

If you and your dog are in the backyard with your chickens, you def have an advantage because the hawk sees you and know if h attacks he will get hurt too. But this doesnt mean they wont attack with you there. A hawk can be very desperate for food and attack with you standing right next to the chickens. Do you have a rood over your coop? If not I suggest getting one.
Some ways I deture hawks if by playing loud music, it give the hawks the sense that there is movement in the area. I also hang pieces of tinfoil and old CDs from string around my coop. When the light hits the CDs or tinfoil, the light will be reflected back into the sky and deture the hawks away because they think it could be a fire or something else dangerous to them.

Hope I helped!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. My setup is an uncovered 10x30' run on the side of my home with a coop house that they sleep in that is fully enclosed. During the day they free range in the whole yard. It would cost me a small fortune to cover that whole run area. So my only other options are anti-hawk items. I doubt the hawks in my area are desperate. There is no shortage of small game. I will just keep an eye out and deal with it as it comes. It's funny how a creature you held in such high regard and admiration can over night become an animal you think is a danger.

Hi Urban Scratch,
Your set-up sounds almost identical to mine except mine is about 10'x40' on the side of my house. What I have done is stapled aviary netting to my house near the gutters, then drape it down at an angle to my 6 foot wooden fence, and stapled it on there too, then I have red/silver mylar strips tied randomly all over it. They are free to forage that area all day, except when I leave I lock them in their predator proof 12x4 run that had their coop attached. Sometimes I let them have the run of the entire yard, but I try to limit it because they love my flower beds! They do get bored over on the side though, so I like to mix it up a bit. I have 2 small dogs that I like to keep out with them when they are on the exposed side of my yard, but I check on them obsessively. It's a fine balance between allowing them freedom to live a satisfying life, and keeping them safe!!

PS The aviary netting I bought at Orchard Supply cost about $25, and it was 12x 40 ft I believe, so it fit perfectly, and while it's not the strongest stuff in the world, I believe if a hawk hit it, it would at least tangle him up and slow him down enough to give me time to run out there. Now what I would do with a tangled up hawk in my yard is another question!! I would probably call the wildlife rehab place to free him or something! Hope that helps!

Quote:
You know i did not even think of the netting like that. I could run 1x2's across the top and it would support the netting. I live downtown so low profile is key. I will look into it and give it a go. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom