December Hatch-A-Long 2014

Candled today and had one porous egg that didn't develop and two that had some questionable veining. I removed the first one but left the other two until next candle day. That still leaves 17 out of 20 due December 1st!

Still no incubator in my possession!
barnie.gif

Picking eggs up at 8:30am tomorrow and planned to set them about 1pm.... not having an incubator may alter those plans.
he.gif

Praying my neighbor comes through and gets it to me tonight or tomorrow morning by the latest so I can get it figured out and set up!
bow.gif

Ill join in! I have 2 incubators full. One is on day 6 right now and has 11 marans eggs and 22 mixed eggs. Incubator 2 was just filled today and has 6 splash silkie and 7 sizzle/frizzles (shipped), 7 marans and 4 white silkie eggs. Both are homemade incubators and both my first time using an incubator. Ive always let my broodies do all the work lol

Ill join in! I have 2 incubators full. One is on day 6 right now and has 11 marans eggs and 22 mixed eggs. Incubator 2 was just filled today and has 6 splash silkie and 7 sizzle/frizzles (shipped), 7 marans and 4 white silkie eggs. Both are homemade incubators and both my first time using an incubator. Ive always let my broodies do all the work lol

Welcome! Good luck, keep us posted.

This will be my first hatch ever. I am so excited and nervous and I hope if I have questions I will be able to get them answered here.

Congrats for entering into a completely addictive venture.
We are here for you...
Best wishes for a healthy and happy hatching!
The cutie pies in my Avatar were my first ever hatchlings!
Here they are less than three months later!

Last edited:
Still no incubator in my possession!
barnie.gif

Picking eggs up at 8:30am tomorrow and planned to set them about 1pm.... not having an incubator may alter those plans.
he.gif

Praying my neighbor comes through and gets it to me tonight or tomorrow morning by the latest so I can get it figured out and set up!
bow.gif

Food for thought....You are going to need some time to let the incubator adapt and run...generally 24 hours for a styrobator. They are very fussy but, once you get the hang of it then you will know for your home, climate, location what direct turns you need to make to change the temp 1/2 degree up or down. My humidity takes 10ml in order to raise it 10% in the bator for 4 hours....just little things like that. (If they can't produce that incubator then maybe a run to TSC or something for a $40 model.)

One of the little things that wound up being huge for me in my first round was the thermometer and hygrometer were not reading well...I had 3 and they all were different and needed to do the cold water test to figure out what a true read is. Save yourself some frustration and get those ready too.

Since you are picking up your eggs don't feel like you can't sit them out for 24 hours...fat side up...I am sure they will get jostled about. So, your hatch day may be Saturday... Anyhow, I am sure that this will all work out just fine for you and in 3 weeks time your house will be filled with chirpy fuzzybutts!

This will be my first hatch ever. I am so excited and nervous and I hope if I have questions I will be able to get them answered here.

Congrats for entering into a completely addictive venture.
We are here for you...
Best wishes for a healthy and happy hatching!
The cutie pies in my Avatar were my first ever hatchlings!
Here they are less than three months later!

Welcome aboard....what do you have in your incubator? OR are you incubating under a broody?

Day 2 ending soon for my bator full of splash and frizzles. I bucked up and bought the Brinsea classroom pack for myself for Christmas. I am getting ready to fire up the new Brinsea Mini Advance...should have some Rhodebar eggs due in this afternoon.

I think I am most excited about the Brinsea brooder light. I was seriously afraid of burning up my chicks with the darn 250 watt red bulb...couldn't stabilize temps. Last night I put the Brinsea in the brooder box with my 3 lil silkies and it seems to work out great. They are still sleeping. They sleep all night long...not a peep.

Do any of you have Rhodebars? Silkies? Frizzles?

Still waiting on my shipment of silkies/frizzles from TN! Post Office really messed up this time. She shipped two day priority last Saturday and I hope they arrive today!

I have not been a fan of the Post Office lately, at all. There is no question in my mind why they operate at a negative deficit. All my stuff is late...by days too. Well, I will be praying that you get those today and they are not all scrambled!!!!

Back
Top Bottom