December Hatch-A-Long 2014

Hatched a batch of barnyard mixed November 1st and tried to shut the incubator down. Made it to November 10th and decided to add 8 more barnyard mix and 12 LF EE's. Should hatch 12/1.

Had someone offer me a great deal on porcelain sizzle eggs and mixed sizzle eggs so 24 eggs were added on November 13th. Due to hatch 12/4.

I have another incubator ordered and will move the first eggs into that at lockdown!
1st incubator:
8 Mixed barnyard all looked good at candling. 11 EE/OE out of 12 at time of candling. Lockdown this Friday. Hatch due 12/1. Plan on using a third incubator without the turner as a hatcher and separate the eggs with wire mesh.

10 mixed sizzles made it past the 10 day candling stage and 12 porcelain sizzles. Lockdown 12/1. Hatch due 12/4

2nd incubator:
6 sizzle and 6 silkies from BYC member and 28 mixed barnyard. Placed in incubator on 11/22. Will candle by this weekend. Lockdown 12/10. Hatch due 12/13. (My sister's birthday)

3rd incubator:
1 lavender silkie and 13 mixed barnyard. Placed in incubator 11/24. Plan on using this incubator as a hatcher so will switch eggs from first incubator at time of lockdown on first eggs.

Trying not to breakdown and buy a 4th incubator but I will have 12 paint silkie eggs, 18 sizzle eggs and 2-4 dozen mixed eggs waiting to go in the incubators as soon as there is room!

Last edited:
Hello all~

I just candled Day 7 Hovabator...splash and sizzle shipped and I have 14 with veins, 2 questionables, 5 ombre looking duds. Feeling quite positive about these! I had 4 with detatched air cells and two re-attached and are veined.

Day 2- Mini Brinsea- Rhodebar

Hello all~

I just candled Day 7 Hovabator...splash and sizzle shipped and I have 14 with veins, 2 questionables, 5 ombre looking duds. Feeling quite positive about these! I had 4 with detatched air cells and two re-attached and are veined.

Day 2- Mini Brinsea- Rhodebar
Those are good odds with the shipped splash and sizzle eggs. I will update on mine after I candle this weekend!

Last edited:
1st incubator: 8 Mixed barnyard all looked good at candling. 11 EE/OE out of 12 at time of candling. Lockdown this Friday. Hatch due 12/1. Plan on using a third incubator without the turner as a hatcher and separate the eggs with wire mesh.
10 mixed sizzles made it past the 10 day candling stage and 12 porcelain sizzles. Lockdown 12/1. Hatch due 12/4

2nd incubator:
6 sizzle and 6 silkies from BYC member and 28 mixed barnyard. Placed in incubator on 11/22. Will candle by this weekend. Lockdown 12/10. Hatch due 12/13. (My sister's birthday)

3rd incubator:
1 lavender silkie and 13 mixed barnyard. Placed in incubator 11/24. Plan on using this incubator as a hatcher so will switch eggs from first incubator at time of lockdown on first eggs.

Trying not to breakdown and buy a 4th incubator but I will have 12 paint silkie eggs, 18 sizzle eggs and 2-4 dozen mixed eggs waiting to go in the incubators as soon as there is room!

Wow ~ that sounds great!

I would like to join this hatch-along! Saturday (11/22/14) I set 4 Red Turken eggs, 4 Black Cochin bantam eggs, and 2 Buff Silkie bantam eggs. Hoping to get a good hatch and then be able to sell them to someone who would hopefully like to buy all of them (if they all hatch) at one time. Good luck to all of you with your hatches!!

I candled Sunday, day 7 and found good veining in about 9 out of 18 and unsure of 4 of them. I'll be happy with a 50% hatch rate because of the time of year. I couldn't tell with them Maran eggs, I've never tried hatching them before. I didn't think humidity would be so tricky this time of year, but with storms coming through I've had to throw on the A/C just to bring it down!

I would like to join this hatch-along! Saturday (11/22/14) I set 4 Red Turken eggs, 4 Black Cochin bantam eggs, and 2 Buff Silkie bantam eggs. Hoping to get a good hatch and then be able to sell them to someone who would hopefully like to buy all of them (if they all hatch) at one time. Good luck to all of you with your hatches!!
What is your location? Someone might be interested in what you have available!

Last edited:
ok just candled everything!

Incubator one- 2 dozen mixed eggs and 11 marinas eggs - I didn't even try to candle the marans eggs lol but in the mixed eggs I pulled 3 clears (my BR rooster is apparently not doing his job cause those all came from his pen) and 2 blood rings, marked 2 others to check later. All the others looked good...but some looked further along than others? It was a little odd.
So I am prepared for a staggered hatch.

Incubator two - 13 shipped sizzle and silkie eggs, 4 of my own silkie eggs and 8 marans eggs. again I didn't candle the marans eggs, all but 2 of the shipped eggs looked good but all had crazy air cells so I set them up in a carton. Hopefully that will help and I will reevaluate either day 10 or 14, one of my own silkie eggs look like an early quitter but the other 3 looked great.

Back
Top Bottom