December Hatch-A-Long 2014

Ours are due to hatch on the 14th and I'm hoping they wait until the 15th, as that is my birthday :) This will be our second hatch. We are hatching silkies.

Mine are supposed to hatch late tomorrow there isnt any pips yet but they are wobbling a lot. I hate waiting.
pop.gif
he.gif

Mine are also due to hatch on the 13th. I have a broody doing all the work though so I don't have to worry about lockdown.

Tonight I candled all the eggs (8 of them) and they look perfect. There was one Marans egg that I thought might be clear, but they are so dark that I really can't tell. I'm just going to leave it and hope the broody knows best.

These babies are driving me crazy...Day 20 and I have two pipped, one nearly zipped, and 16 just sitting there torturing me. This is the first hatch where I haven't had an early hatcher...makes me nervous. I'm very impatient!!!
hmm.png
I have heard though, that the dark Maran eggs are a bit more delicate and require the perfect humidity. Anyone else have Maran eggs in with light colored eggs?
In November we hatched 4 marans with our other eggs. The Marans pipped later and were the last to hatch. They were about 12 hours behind the brown, and green eggs. One was severely malpositioned and pipped at the wrong end. We had to help the chick out of the shell and I was sure it wasn't going to make it. They are 4 weeks old now and the chick is still a runt but doing fine. Of course he ended up being a cockerel, but he's sure a cute little bugger.

Glad to see someone else is doing the same thing! We are going to do our first ever incubation in about 10 days - 150 Delaware chicks for an order! Yikes!! Hope all goes well and our hens and rooster did their job!
welcome-byc.gif
Wow, DawnridgeFarm, where are you located and can I get some of those Delawares?
lau.gif
Love them and putting a New Hampshire rooster over a Delawere hen will give great Red Sex Links. Go to your profile page and look for location. Put where you are from. I'm in NW La about 20 miles east of Shreveport.

Just finished candling my 10 eggs and ALL 10 are still growing and we saw all of them moving! I feel like maybe my air cells are not as big as they should be. I didn't mark where they were at on day 7 so I can't really tell how much they've grown but I'm concerned.
Not a great pic but does the air cell look about the right size for day 14 or should I be increasing humidity?

I am so excited all of them are still growing. 4 more days till lock down and only 1 more week till we see some fluffy butts, yay!

That's good to know about the marans, thank you! I'm not sure what is going on with this hatch, but only one has hatched so far and I see no movement in the others. I've also had to remove one that was fully developed but cracked along the side, no pipping, and the chick was dead. I've never experienced that before. I'm going to have to get the surviving one some friends if nothing else hatches, it's clearly lonely!

I pulled the top tray out the hatcher this morning------38 yellow buff orp eggs were in the tray----there were 38 yellow buff chicks looking at me----a pretty site.

Tray 2 had some barred rock and a few speckled sussex, tray 3 had a few silkie's and some gold laced wyndottes. Lots of chicks went into the brooder!

I pulled the top tray out the hatcher this morning------38 yellow buff orp eggs were in the tray----there were 38 yellow buff chicks looking at me----a pretty site.

Tray 2 had some barred rock and a few speckled sussex, tray 3 had a few silkie's and some gold laced wyndottes. Lots of chicks went into the brooder!

Congrats! What type of brooder setup do you have? I hope I wake up Tuesday to a bunch of eye balls staring at me too!

Back
Top Bottom