December Hatch-A-Long 2014

Thanks, sounds like you are super busy! I am looking for an alternate brooder system for mine. I have two hatches right now and expect two more this week. One has 3 chicks, one 5, and two juveniles in the hen house and an injured juvenile in a dog crate. I was trying to figure out one brooder system that would work for the chicks til they feather. I have a small farm. Huge drafty barn with no electricity or power. Right now all my chicks are on my dining room table in a wooden box or fish tank. Lol
LOL, I use to keep mine in the house too. Hatch to many now. I set-up a out-door brooder a few years back to gain knowledge on brooding without electricity----(My plan to live off-grid). The brooder set-up worked GOOD to brood 2 different loads of chicks. I did it with 2 regular oil lamps In the coldest part of OUR winter which is mild compared to some other people's. There are gas brooder set-ups too. I figured out a wood fired brooder too, BUT all this is more work than the "normal" way---- just plugging into the wall plug--LOL.

LOL, I use to keep mine in the house too. Hatch to many now. I set-up a out-door brooder a few years back to gain knowledge on brooding without electricity----(My plan to live off-grid). The brooder set-up worked GOOD to brood 2 different loads of chicks. I did it with 2 regular oil lamps In the coldest part of OUR winter which is mild compared to some other people's. There are gas brooder set-ups too. I figured out a wood fired brooder too, BUT all this is more work than the "normal" way---- just plugging into the wall plug--LOL.

That's my goal as well...off grid. I have a 10 year plan for it. I just got this old dairy barn which will help. For now I have to figure chick management! New ones hatching Tuesday and Sunday!

HELP!! I'm a giant clutz! I was candling and my foot slipped while I was pulling out an egg and I stuck my finger through so 4 eggs got coated. I poured a little water over them trying to rinse the biggest globs off but I'm at a loss. Do I try and run them under warm water, just leave it, and what about the egg muck in the bottom of the bator?? I'm sure that's going to start smelling, what do I do!?!

HELP!! I'm a giant clutz! I was candling and my foot slipped while I was pulling out an egg and I stuck my finger through so 4 eggs got coated. I poured a little water over them trying to rinse the biggest globs off but I'm at a loss. Do I try and run them under warm water, just leave it, and what about the egg muck in the bottom of the bator?? I'm sure that's going to start smelling, what do I do!?!
I'd do the warm water and blot off with a paper towel. Don't rub. Put back in quick. IMO

This morning I had a small heat spike. Hopefully not enough to effect anything. I had opened the bator to help it cool a bit. Then I lowered the heat on it just a hair... I was gone two hours, come back and it was in the lower 90's. The lid wasn't quiet on properly...

what kind of incubator do you have?
it's a little giant with a fan...it's a mess!
he.gif

while I was busy pacing and freaking out and cussing, the fan dried it up just enough to make it **** near impossible to clean quickly. All 3 of my other incubators are full so I dont have a spare to bring up to temp. I have a heating pad, what do you think about heating pad, towel, egg rack, and another towel on top for 15 minutes or so?

Back
Top Bottom