December Hatch-A-Long 2014

it's a little giant with a fan...it's a mess!
he.gif

while I was busy pacing and freaking out and cussing, the fan dried it up just enough to make it **** near impossible to clean quickly. All 3 of my other incubators are full so I dont have a spare to bring up to temp. I have a heating pad, what do you think about heating pad, towel, egg rack, and another towel on top for 15 minutes or so?

i am no expert in any way but i would clean it to make sure that the babies are in the clean environment. this is my thinking since they do cool off a little while you candle them and i am also thinking about how mama chickens leave the nest for short periods of time to eat and drink and they eggs cool off. if it was me i would clean it, but maybe there is a good argument against it :) i would not use a heating pad tho, maybe just keep them in a blanket to help slow down the cooling.
sorry this happened :(
my husband was turning the eggs this morning and broke one of them... i am proud of myself for not getting violent even tho i had the urge
somad.gif

Last edited:
i am no expert in any way but i would clean it to make sure that the babies are in the clean environment. this is my thinking since they do cool off a little while you candle them and i am also thinking about how mama chickens leave the nest for short periods of time to eat and drink and they eggs cool off. if it was me i would clean it, but maybe there is a good argument against it :) i would not use a heating pad tho, maybe just keep them in a blanket to help slow down the cooling.
sorry this happened :(
my husband was turning the eggs this morning and broke one of them... i am proud of myself for not getting violent even tho i had the urge
somad.gif
I went ahead and checked an incubator that I was worried about. It was the small batch and there were just enough early quitters to make the exact amount of room I needed!
bow.gif
That sort of thing NEVER happens to me! I feel like I need to play the lotto! I got it all cleaned up and while I was doing that, another 5 dozen eggs showed up so I had to rearrange them all. Now I've got 168 eggs in 4 boxes (slightly staggered in 2 boxes) all due between the 23rd and the 28th. It's looking like the best new years ever!!
celebrate.gif

Now I've got 168 eggs in 4 boxes (slightly staggered in 2 boxes) all due between the 23rd and the 28th. It's looking like the best new years ever!!
celebrate.gif
Are you going to hatch the eggs in the same incubator that they are in or you plan on moving them to another incubator when they reach day 18??

Last edited:
I went ahead and checked an incubator that I was worried about.  It was the small batch and there were just enough early quitters to make the exact amount of room I needed! :bow   That sort of thing NEVER happens to me!  I feel like I need to play the lotto!  I got it all cleaned up and while I was doing that, another 5 dozen eggs showed up so I had to rearrange them all.  Now I've got 168 eggs in 4 boxes (slightly staggered in 2 boxes) all due between the 23rd and the 28th.  It's looking like the best new years ever!!  :celebrate
Wow and I thought I was chicken crazy with my 75+ eggs in the incubator,lol.

I went ahead and checked an incubator that I was worried about. It was the small batch and there were just enough early quitters to make the exact amount of room I needed!
bow.gif
That sort of thing NEVER happens to me! I feel like I need to play the lotto! I got it all cleaned up and while I was doing that, another 5 dozen eggs showed up so I had to rearrange them all. Now I've got 168 eggs in 4 boxes (slightly staggered in 2 boxes) all due between the 23rd and the 28th. It's looking like the best new years ever!!
celebrate.gif
You're crazy, right?
lau.gif

I have an update! one chick is hatched on day 23. It pipped late last night and zipped this afternoon but got stuck..probably cause of the humidity. So I helped it finish zipping and it pushed itself out. It is still in the incubator right now but I may have to take it out and give it a little sponge bath because it is pretty sticky. I think I have another pip too but its on the side of the egg and in a shadow so I can't see well..could just be my wishful thinking lol

Lockdown for incubator number 2 is tomorrow and I have a QUESTION: so this incubator has shipped eggs in it that had saddled air cells. I believe the air cells have improved a lot (from the couple I have candled along the way). So should I leave them in the carton for lockdown or lay them on their sides like non shipped eggs?

Absolutely chicken crazy! I've got 3 more boxes coming to spread them out a little more during lock down. I'm trying to get a jump on spring/summer harvest. Last year I slowed down too soon and stopped during the cold months so I'm hoping to correct that. It's a big jump from what used to but I'm pretty confident...I'll do the same thing, only a lot more of it!!

So it is day 4(?) today, and just out of curiosity I candled an egg, it looks clear
hmm.png
Then I candled one of my few blue eggs. AND THERE IS VEINING!!
jumpy.gif
Lets pray I hatch something!

But one question, how should the air cell look? I can't find it and the yolk is up by were it should be....

Last edited:
I have an update! one chick is hatched on day 23. It pipped late last night and zipped this afternoon but got stuck..probably cause of the humidity. So I helped it finish zipping and it pushed itself out. It is still in the incubator right now but I may have to take it out and give it a little sponge bath because it is pretty sticky. I think I have another pip too but its on the side of the egg and in a shadow so I can't see well..could just be my wishful thinking lol

Lockdown for incubator number 2 is tomorrow and I have a QUESTION: so this incubator has shipped eggs in it that had saddled air cells. I believe the air cells have improved a lot (from the couple I have candled along the way). So should I leave them in the carton for lockdown or lay them on their sides like non shipped eggs?
Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your last question. I have the same problem and am going into lockdown on Wednesday. If I don't hear any different I plan on using the cutdown cartons. Looking forward to hearing how yours turn out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom