Deep cut on ducks face need advice please

HappyDuckies

Chirping
Aug 18, 2015
Emergency vet doesn’t take exotics and the one that does their exotic vet is off today what do I do? She’s my good girl and I’m keeping her inside tonight but how do I prevent gangrene and maggots? She’s warm so she’s not losing much blood she’s acting normal as a hurt duck can
90D68BBB-DE8E-4D99-8606-A700CB35A583.jpeg

Attachments

• D8BA0194-97DA-4A73-BD68-7B489EB904EC.jpeg
    D8BA0194-97DA-4A73-BD68-7B489EB904EC.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 8
How did she get flayed? That has to hurt a lot. You can give her 81 grain aspirin twice a day for the pain. I also suggest treating for shock. Warm sugar water with a pinch of salt and an equal pinch of bicarbonate of soda.

If you don't have it, get some Vetericyn spray and treat the wounds several times a day with it. In between, keep a layer of antibiotic ointment on all of the flayed areas. These two treatments will encourage tissue growth.

Infection is a concern with such large areas of missing skin. So daily cleansing with saline or soap and water are advisable. Keep the areas moist at all times, never letting the wounds dry out. This is more important than anything.

And love. Lots of love. It heals, you know.

How did she get flayed? That has to hurt a lot. You can give her 81 grain aspirin twice a day for the pain. I also suggest treating for shock. Warm sugar water with a pinch of salt and an equal pinch of bicarbonate of soda.

If you don't have it, get some Vetericyn spray and treat the wounds several times a day with it. In between, keep a layer of antibiotic ointment on all of the flayed areas. These two treatments will encourage tissue growth.

Infection is a concern with such large areas of missing skin. So daily cleansing with saline or soap and water are advisable. Keep the areas moist at all times, never letting the wounds dry out. This is more important than anything.

Thank you so much. I’m so scared for her. I found some white and black hairs in the scratches on her beak and I’m guessing a raccoon. Not the first raccoon attack she’s endured, but definitely the most serious one. Going to Home Depot soon to get supplies to build a permanent home (like Dusty and Otter duck have if you know about them!) they’re free range right now but they get put up in a cage every night. I hate to take their freedom away from them though :( I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I just keep worrying I’ll wake up in the morning and she won’t be breathing. She was drinking water when I put her in the tub to clean her up but now she’s not drinking any. The bottom of her beak is messed up and looks like it hurts a lot so that may be why. I’m so scared.

Is keeping it most with saline okay or would water be better?

Water or saline isn't the right sort of moisture since it evaporates too quickly. Think facial moisturizer. You need a petroleum jelly type moisture to keep the tissue moist and nourished. Like your hands or face. The triple antibiotic ointment is best so it provides a shield against bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom