Deep litter coop floor - linoleum or wood?

I think there is a big difference between the family farm of years ago and the agribusiness "farmers" we have today. Where I grew up, farming means growing one crop - beets - and nothing else.
TrueDat...even 'years ago'(1930's) there was monoculturing, chemical fertilizers and '-cides', over-tilling and bare fields in off season...all that is the opposite of permaculture.
Even way before the 1930 dust bowl era and mechanization,
farmers were damaging/decimating the land when growing food to the point nothing would grow there. Check out 'Desertification' and how it can be reversed.
Great book about it, a long wide overview, is 'The Soil Will Save Us' by Kristin Ohlson.

Back to my original post, I have decided to go with the linoleum. Menards has their 11% rebate off starting tomorrow and I expect I will pick up their cheapest 49 cents per square foot vinyl. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Sorry for the digression.
I'd not go cheap on the vinyl, especially if you want to bend it up the walls.
Have fun shopping!

As far as bending it up the walls, would I just tack down a wooden furring strip along the floor/wall edge?
I just tacked it with a couple screws into the studs where it went high enough to 'flop' on the ends. Used some 'L' stock at doorways, one shown here at the main pop door, more pics on my coop page.

Was thinking about this. I wanted to bend it up in case of major spills(that never happened). But bedding can get behind the bent up ends, so stay low or go high. It's crazy how far they can scratch bedding.

I am thinking about going 12 inches high on the walls, but would put some kind of block/filler so that bedding does not get behind the linoleum.

Back
Top Bottom