Deep litter coop floor - linoleum or wood?

I ended up buying some linoleum on sale at Menards. I wanted a 12X9 piece for my 12X6 coop, leaving me extra to go up the sides 12 inches and front/back. Menards only had 12X8 left, but they sold it to me as a 12X6. I'll have enough to cover the floor and go up 12 inches on each side. I'll just put some painted OSB board on the front/back walls and if that does not last, I'll think about buying some extra linoleum later. As it was, after 11% rebate at Menards, I will have the 12X6 coop covered with a new piece of linoleum for less than $30.

I ended up buying some linoleum on sale at Menards. I wanted a 12X9 piece for my 12X6 coop, leaving me extra to go up the sides 12 inches and front/back. Menards only had 12X8 left, but they sold it to me as a 12X6. I'll have enough to cover the floor and go up 12 inches on each side. I'll just put some painted OSB board on the front/back walls and if that does not last, I'll think about buying some extra linoleum later. As it was, after 11% rebate at Menards, I will have the 12X6 coop covered with a new piece of linoleum for less than $30.
That's great.

How does a 12x8 piece of linoleum(vinyl?) fit a 12x6 coop with 12" to spare on two sides?<scratcheshead>
A different kind of Chicken Math? :lol:

Do you have a build thread going?

How does a 12x8 piece of linoleum(vinyl?) fit a 12x6 coop with 12" to spare on two sides?<scratcheshead>
A different kind of Chicken Math? :lol:

The floor is 12X6 plus 1 foot up each side wall = 12X8 linoleum. It's just regular math, not chicken math. I just finished installing the linoleum this evening. So I hope to get my chicks moved into the coop this week.

Do you have a build thread going?

No, but I have asked a number of specific questions in various threads about parts of my coop build. Thanks.

The floor is 12X6 plus 1 foot up each side wall = 12X8 linoleum. It's just regular math, not chicken math. I just finished installing the linoleum this evening. So I hope to get my chicks moved into the coop this week.

No, but I have asked a number of specific questions in various threads about parts of my coop build. Thanks.
I don't know what I was thinking, DOH!! :lol: (obviously not thinking well at all-it happens)

I've seen many of your questions, would be nice to see the build with pics all in one thread or an article.

...I've seen many of your questions, would be nice to see the build with pics all in one thread or an article.

I will try to get some pics out later, but right now I am on Jury duty for June/July. So I am trying to get as much stuff done in between everything else. Taking pics has not been high on the list. Also, still have a few days of work to do on the coop and run. Finishing up on the painting and starting the trim work today.

I've had it for 3 years with no indication of deterioration. It wraps up the walls of the coop and I've had to tack parts up again, but that's all the maintenance it's required.

It may be that going 12" up the walls has prevented the kind of wear someone else warned against. I dunno. I just know I'm happy with the way it performs in my coop.
Now seeing this. May I ask if the linoleum gets very slippery for you. Im thinking of using it in the broilers house.

Now seeing this. May I ask if the linoleum gets very slippery for you. Im thinking of using it in the broilers house.
I have linoleum in my layer coop and don't find it especially slippery for them. I suppose it might be possible for it to be a bit of a problem with broilers and their natural tendency towards leg issues, but I wouldn't really be especially worried. You could run some fine grit sandpaper over it if there ended up being slips.

I would go with linoleum, but in a full sheet. Moisture barrier versus something absorbent. We did 3/4 inch treated plywood for our coop floor with peel/stick linoleum tiles over that, then I sprinkle a solid layer of sweet PDZ ( horse stall ammonia control/absorbent) and bed deep shavings over that. You could prob use barn line or some sort of non caustic lime but I feel the PDZ is safer. I scoop all the bedding out about every month or so into the attached run and replace with new in the coop. However if I had to do again I would go with a full sheet of linoleum instead of the tiles because some of them are coming up. Still stays very dry in there, and the PDZ keeps the ammonia down.

Attachments

• 49C5C5F2-8D69-4F56-B53D-580E6D48F623.jpeg
    49C5C5F2-8D69-4F56-B53D-580E6D48F623.jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 5
I have linoleum in my layer coop and don't find it especially slippery for them. I suppose it might be possible for it to be a bit of a problem with broilers and their natural tendency towards leg issues, but I wouldn't really be especially worried. You could run some fine grit sandpaper over it if there ended up being slips.
Ok you mean to rub the sand paper over the linoleum to put scratches on it so it wont be so slippery??

Back
Top Bottom