Deep litter method

While you could place higher boards where the screening is, and should, the deep litter might interfere with the pop door if you close it at night. I have a similar set up, and had to put higher boards in place I still have to sweep up the litter they scratch over them LOL, and I struggle to keep the area near the pop door clear. However, the deep method is so much cleaner and easier to maintain.

I am only on page 36 of this thread but have a question. We are just now finishing our coop, and the chicks will only arrive tomorrow so it will be a month or so before they get moved in. I am wanting to use the DLM and was going to buy pine shavings. But, I have a bunch of dead leaves/twigs/grass that wave washed up against the pasture fence from a storm several months ago. I was planning to rake it up and burn it. Could I use that as the starter base of my coop instead? The pile are "semi-dry" because of some recent rain. The floor is dirt, except for two rubber stall mats in the middle from when it was our horse stall. Here are pics of the leaves, there are a few larger sticks/branches in it somI assume I need to try to pull those out.

936D2886-A4BF-4C2F-9D4B-165F4459C6C1.jpeg
4B6D1933-2946-46FB-ACCD-A343ADDF5229.jpeg

Also, does anyone use PDZ and DE at the same time? Since the DE is supposed to be used in small quantities I thought the PDZ might help form occasional odor issues.

I often use wood chips as the base for my bedding. they make for good drainage. Keeps the top layer dryer.
If you get those leaves and twigs in right now, they should be dry enough before you add the shavings and chicks.

I am only on page 36 of this thread but have a question. We are just now finishing our coop, and the chicks will only arrive tomorrow so it will be a month or so before they get moved in. I am wanting to use the DLM and was going to buy pine shavings. But, I have a bunch of dead leaves/twigs/grass that wave washed up against the pasture fence from a storm several months ago. I was planning to rake it up and burn it. Could I use that as the starter base of my coop instead? The pile are "semi-dry" because of some recent rain. The floor is dirt, except for two rubber stall mats in the middle from when it was our horse stall. Here are pics of the leaves, there are a few larger sticks/branches in it somI assume I need to try to pull those out.

View attachment 3062510View attachment 3062511

Also, does anyone use PDZ and DE at the same time? Since the DE is supposed to be used in small quantities I thought the PDZ might help form occasional odor issues.
I mainly use grass and leaves. I have added pdz. I don't use de.. I do dust with sulfur for mites and lice.

So if you do deep bedding in the coop you still should use poop boards? I was under the impression that with deep bedding the poop getting into the bedding was fine.

Another question, about the pop door. Should the opening be 12 inches above the floor with a ramp up to it?

So if you do deep bedding in the coop you still should use poop boards? I was under the impression that with deep bedding the poop getting into the bedding was fine.
Deep bedding is different from deep litter(composting).
Poop boards allows the deep bedding to last longer.
Deep litter needs the poop.

And how to decide which one to use?
It was easy for me.
Deep composting litter doesn't work well unless it has ground contact.
It needs a certain amount of moisture to work well.
Neither of these things work in my coop.

Coop Cleaning - Bedding
What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
- Large flake pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 8 years.

Back
Top Bottom