Deep litter method

Pics
I'll have to see what we have floating around in the garage--if we don't have any sealant (not sure, but we *did* inherit some stuff like that when we bought the house) I'll probably do the heavy plastic as a dual water barrier/draft blocker (there are gaps between the boards and, while I could caulk them, plastic would be much faster). Leaving the stuff on the floor works great for me--the less work, the better! Convincing my husband, though... Of course, since I'm doing all the research, that strengthens my argument considerably
wink.png

This is Dry Den: http://www.bmfp.com/drydenbedding.html

I'll have to see what we have floating around in the garage--if we don't have any sealant (not sure, but we *did* inherit some stuff like that when we bought the house) I'll probably do the heavy plastic as a dual water barrier/draft blocker (there are gaps between the boards and, while I could caulk them, plastic would be much faster). Leaving the stuff on the floor works great for me--the less work, the better! Convincing my husband, though... Of course, since I'm doing all the research, that strengthens my argument considerably;)

This is Dry Den: http://www.bmfp.com/drydenbedding.html

Double check about the Dry Den. All the package says is "blended formula of wood". Call the company if you have to... Just make sure the isn't any Cedar in it. It's poisoness to chickens! I question because its says formulated to remove odors and typically cedar is used for that.

Double check about the Dry Den. All the package says is "blended formula of wood". Call the company if you have to... Just make sure the isn't any Cedar in it. It's poisoness to chickens! I question because its says formulated to remove odors and typically cedar is used for that.

No..it's not poisonous to chickens. The oils can be strong enough to cause some respiratory problems in some birds but cedar is most definitely NOT poisonous to chickens. My hens sit on a pile of cedar shavings every day to lay eggs, there is some in their bedding and pure cedar shavings in their outdoors lounge area they share with the dog and cat. Not a dead bird yet...nor will there be.

No..it's not poisonous to chickens.  The oils can be strong enough to cause some respiratory problems in some birds but cedar is most definitely NOT poisonous to chickens.  My hens sit on a pile of cedar shavings every day to lay eggs, there is some in their bedding and pure cedar shavings in their outdoors lounge area they share with the dog and cat.  Not a dead bird yet...nor will there be. 

Well if I'm wrong, then I'm glad. I was only going by the countless articles I had read on the subject. Perhaps my wording ("poisonous") was to strong. Respiratory issues was definitely mentioned in my readings. And it was strongly recommended not to use it. At any rate I'm certainly glad you've had now issues with yours.

Personally I would leave the cracks in the boards. Birds need air, those cracks will keep your coop well ventilated! I have a very " free air" coop and with all the heat we've had lately a lot of people have lost birds and we haven't! I know several people who use lean to type shelters and their birds do great in them!

Personally I would leave the cracks in the boards. Birds need air, those cracks will keep your coop well ventilated! I have a very " free air" coop and with all the heat we've had lately a lot of people have lost birds and we haven't! I know several people who use lean to type shelters and their birds do great in them!

Agreed! The more ventilation with deep litter in the coop, the better!

Heat isn't a big concern here--if it reaches 70, everyone's in shorts and sleeveless shirts. The few times it reaches 80, it's about evenly split between those basking in the unexpected warmth and those melting away
lol.png
It doesn't get really cold for long periods, either--I was utterly flabbergasted when I had to scrape the car windshield at 8am for a week this past winter. I thought filling in the gaps would help with drafts. I'll be taking some things out of the building later so I can do some planning--I'll try to remember to take some pics and start up a brainstorming thread.

Hi Everyone! My family and I are going to start raising chicks for eggs and eating. After reading all the information on deep littering I think this is going to be the way we go. I do have a couple of questions: What is DE that is added to the litter? What age do the chicks need to be before using the deep litter method? (I had read somewhere else that the chicks may confuse the wood shavings with feed and starve themselves?) Right now we are in the process of remodeling an old pump house into our chicken coop. My husband plans on using home sawed lumber as the base for the floor, then using a layer of pink foam insulation and finishing with 2x4's. We will use an old wire corn crib attached for an outside pen. Any advise will be appreciated!
Thank you for asking this. I would like to know what DE is also.

DE = diatomaceous earth. It is the fossilized remains of diatoms, small sea creatures. If you search the forums you can get a lot of information on usage. DE is supposed to help with controlling pests and parasites.

DE = diatomaceous earth. It is the fossilized remains of diatoms, small sea creatures. If you search the forums you can get a lot of information on usage. DE is supposed to help with controlling pests and parasites. 

Do some serious shopping around if and when you decide to get some. The best price I've found on ("food-grade") DE so far is sears online. If anyone else knows a better price, please speak up :)

Back
Top Bottom