Deep litter method

Thanks HSC
But did not see anything on there as to if the birds eat the husks. Guess if these folks are using it they are not having a problem with their birds ingesting it.

Sorry for the newby question, I need to do look for old posts before I post a new question.

lau.gif
Um, no, that trailer is where I live!
lol that is just what i have as a coop
i have 2 one is the camper coop and the other one my hubbie and i just made this summer then hubbie built a run between them, they can go from one to the other and it should be good for bad weather

Has anyone tryed rice husks as litter? I'm close to a rice mill and the husks are free for the taking. We bring in truck loads and use it as mulch for weed supression, especially in the pineapple fields. Great mulch in that one it is free but more important as it breaks down and is finally plowed back into the field it helps the soil more than other kinds of mulch. Was going to try it as litter, for the same reasons, free, plus better for the soil, in that all litter and animal waste ends up in fallow fields and is plowed in next time we prep the field. Will do a small experiment this year to see. I guess if there is a hang up it will be that the chickens and ducks mistake it as feed and the husks have no nutrional value to them. Is anyone or has anyone used rice husk as litter?
Hey r-dale,
welcome-byc.gif
It's a great idea. I live in the deep south in Louisiana and we have a lot of rice. I just never thought about looking for the hulls. I know that the hulls compost great. I need to start searching. I saw a feed store advertising them last year, but I wasn't into chickens or gardening yet.
lau.gif

Thanks for sharing your video! I am getting ready to start the DL method---I was curious to see what it should actually look like. Do you do anything to keep the dampness down? I'm not really sure how water proof my coop will be during heavy rain.

Thanks for sharing your video! I am getting ready to start the DL method---I was curious to see what it should actually look like. Do you do anything to keep the dampness down? I'm not really sure how water proof my coop will be during heavy rain.

You need your coop to be waterproof or you're looking a world of smelly, nasty, yuck (and a major disease vector).

You need your coop to be waterproof or you're looking a world of smelly, nasty, yuck (and a major disease vector).

Couldn't be farther from the truth when it comes to deep litter....moisture is needed for the deep litter to work well. Mine worked way better when I had several leaks in the coop and now I find I have to add water to my coop to get my DL back to the way it used to work.

If water in your DL is causing smelly, nasty yuck, you aren't doing it right.

Couldn't be farther from the truth when it comes to deep litter....moisture is needed for the deep litter to work well. Mine worked way better when I had several leaks in the coop and now I find I have to add water to my coop to get my DL back to the way it used to work.

If water in your DL is causing smelly, nasty yuck, you aren't doing it right.

I bow to your greater experience here, but no way in #$*! do I want a leaking coop.

It's kind of a pain when you're in there and you bend over to do something and you get a fairly steady stream of "rain" down your back and further.

However, it doesn't need to be sopping wet to work well, from what I understand anyway. I haven't been able to implement deep litter yet. My barn roof is removed and I'm patiently waiting for my helper to get well. He came down with the flu two days into the project and we've been on hold for 2 weeks! #%&^@*&!!!! Ok, maybe I'm not waiting so patiently but I know its not his fault and he is finally starting to look a lot better so soon... roof project, here we come!

Back
Top Bottom