Deep litter method

Thanks, Ed! I just can't leave things the way they are. There's always room for improvement. I'm working like a snail right now, but the finished project will be a true gem. --BB

Bobby Basham, Tucson, AZ
(A fierce Gospel Organist)

Fantastic!!!! Keep pedals moving!!! I can play a little bit, but people seem to tire quickly of the short piece of "Chop Sticks" that I know.
big_smile.png

Hi everyone. I finally got my litter to where I needed it to be and then Mr Skunk managed to get himself trapped inside the coop. (someone forgot to shut the pop door) it was a chore in itself trying to get him out.
Anyway, before he was disposed,he consumed 3 of my silkie chicks and he sprayed the coop.
He was trapped in one corner of the coop which is 6x8.
Now, I feel, I should remove all of my litter to remove the odor. Do you agree?
I could use any advice.

Hi everyone. I finally got my litter to where I needed it to be and then Mr Skunk managed to get himself trapped inside the coop. (someone forgot to shut the pop door) it was a chore in itself trying to get him out.
Anyway, before he was disposed,he consumed 3 of my silkie chicks and he sprayed the coop.
He was trapped in one corner of the coop which is 6x8.
Now, I feel, I should remove all of my litter to remove the odor. Do you agree?
I could use any advice.
Ooooh, so much for a "fresh air" coop, eh? Sorry about the attack, we're all human and make errors.

Well, what it sprayed landed on the surface. Depending on how much the DL has been disturbed/mixed since then you might be able to skim off the top couple of inches. Being a 6x8 area isn't an overly immense area (but not small either) you might want to consider removing all the litter and starting afresh (I couldn't resist it<g>). There's something about skunk scent that permeates the surrounding...if you remove the litter you will still have a smell, but will have less of it to dissipate and to possibly try to cleanse.

I've never used this concoction, but seems interesting. A pump up sprayer might work with this...not sure how the baking soda would work with the spray nozzle but I'd think it should be fine... Recipe for skunk odor remover... http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

Oh, and leave everything WIDE OPEN if you can (I probably didn't have to mention that
sickbyc.gif
).

Best wishes!!!
Ed

Ooooh, so much for a "fresh air" coop, eh? Sorry about the attack, we're all human and make errors.

Well, what it sprayed landed on the surface. Depending on how much the DL has been disturbed/mixed since then you might be able to skim off the top couple of inches. Being a 6x8 area isn't an overly immense area (but not small either) you might want to consider removing all the litter and starting afresh (I couldn't resist it<g>). There's something about skunk scent that permeates the surrounding...if you remove the litter you will still have a smell, but will have less of it to dissipate and to possibly try to cleanse.

I've never used this concoction, but seems interesting. A pump up sprayer might work with this...not sure how the baking soda would work with the spray nozzle but I'd think it should be fine... Recipe for skunk odor remover... http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

Oh, and leave everything WIDE OPEN if you can (I probably didn't have to mention that
sickbyc.gif
).

Best wishes!!!
Ed
I have used this on a dog and it does work, but I add it tp a gallon of vinegar (big dog)
also the baking soda foams up so make it outside..... you might be able to spray it

Thanks! Letting it air out is an understatement lol. I'm not touching anything til tomorrow. I have taken my chances and let it stay open since yesterday. I am going to try to remove litter from that area today...yuk. I do have a load of leaves, pine needles, peer moss and shavings to start. Supposed to be nice n toasty today too! Yay. :(

Best wishes on the cleaning. I certainly don't envy you, but who knows...I may be doing the same thing one day. What are you going to do with the litter than you remove?

Ed

SCOE10x is a miracle product! I had to use it on our pup and the dining room floor this week and within 30 minutes of being sprayed, both the dog and the house were odor free. I LOVE this stuff. It comes as a concentrate with a spray bottle and since its reconstituted, lasts two years. Seriously, best $20 I have ever spent. Http://www.scoe10x.com

SCOE10x is a miracle product! I had to use it on our pup and the dining room floor this week and within 30 minutes of being sprayed, both the dog and the house were odor free. I LOVE this stuff. It comes as a concentrate with a spray bottle and since its reconstituted, lasts two years. Seriously, best $20 I have ever spent. Http://www.scoe10x.com
Thank you for posting this... I am going to try it ... I found a promo code that worked too https://www.facebook.com/scoe10x
Use Promo Code FB615 for 15%

Hi guys!

This summer I moved my flock to a roomy 9X12 coop with a concrete floor. Once again I am using the deep liter method that I used with my smaller coop but in spite of regular turning and the hens digging around, I'm getting ammonia smell coming up from under the roosts. I do not use a poop board. As a rule I keep 8 inches or more of bedding in the coop, but the hens are good at moving it to the roosting area and no where else.

I would like to avoid a poop board.

The summer has been wet, humid and hot here. I run a ceiling mounted fan for the flock and have what I thought was adiquate ventilation but now I'm starting to wonder.

I'm planning to remove the bedding under the roosts tomorrow and move it to the compost pile. I'll put down a bale of pine chips.

Any words of wisdom? Would adding more ventilation help? I'm getting ready to put new exterior siding on the east wall so now is the time should I need to do that. Would it help to put a small ventilation fan in one of the grated ventilation ducts that I have up around the ceiling?

Hi guys!

This summer I moved my flock to a roomy 9X12 coop with a concrete floor. Once again I am using the deep liter method that I used with my smaller coop but in spite of regular turning and the hens digging around, I'm getting ammonia smell coming up from under the roosts. I do not use a poop board. As a rule I keep 8 inches or more of bedding in the coop, but the hens are good at moving it to the roosting area and no where else.

I would like to avoid a poop board.

The summer has been wet, humid and hot here. I run a ceiling mounted fan for the flock and have what I thought was adiquate ventilation but now I'm starting to wonder.

I'm planning to remove the bedding under the roosts tomorrow and move it to the compost pile. I'll put down a bale of pine chips.

Any words of wisdom? Would adding more ventilation help? I'm getting ready to put new exterior siding on the east wall so now is the time should I need to do that. Would it help to put a small ventilation fan in one of the grated ventilation ducts that I have up around the ceiling?
you can't have too much ventilation when it's humid..at least 1sqft per bird https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Back
Top Bottom