Dekalb Amberlink Breeding Question

Mr chicken dude

Songster
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
VA
So I know the Amberlink is a cross between a RIR and some other bird but what bird will I get if I cross a Dekalb Amberlink with a Dekalb Amberlink???

I don't think I would get a Amberlink I'd get some other bird just what bird would that be???

I mean once I have a amberlink by crossing a RIR and some other bird can I just cross the Amberlink and get a Amberlink???

Thanks,Collin

Last edited:
Yeah I understand that but what breed of chicken will I get by crossing Amberlink with a Amberlink...I know I can get an Amberlink by crossing a RIR with some other bird but what breed of chicken will I het by crossing a Amberlink with a Amberlink???

Collin.

The rooster is a White Rock over New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red Hens. Breeding Amberlink to Amberlink will not give you anything as far as breed goes but you should get some dandy layers, most like some white some with the red splotches on them and possably other colors.

Amber-Links are a "Reverse" Cross. They are the offspring from a Delaware Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen.
With this cross the Males would be Yellowish Gold in color and the Females would be White with the traditional Delaware pattern and may have some Red bleeding through in the back...

I say a "Reverse" Cross because a more traditional sex-link cross would be a Rhode Island Red Rooster over a "Silver" Hen..
(Silver being a Columbian type pattern Hen)

Chris

Genetically you will get chickens with the same genes as the Amberlink parents - you just will no longer be able to tell which gender they are at birth by the feather colors on subsequent generations thus the "LINK" part of their name is no longer true they are just Amber chickens not "Amberlink" which like all "sex linked" have specific colors announcing which gender they are (linked to their feather colors at birth)

Telling chickens gender at birth is only a big deal for breeder sellers who wish to charge a premium for the Pullet (hens) and to be able to sell to customers who are not permitted to have loud roosters in their "dog-walking" "Pleasantville" subdivisions.

Back
Top Bottom