Delawares from kathyinmo

A couple photos of the one of the potential breeder cockerels we marked when the team was here. The first photo was taken a couple weeks ago, the other was taken I think yesterday. He is starting to fill out, which is a relief. They go through such an awkward stage, especially if they have high, wide shoulders (which I learned is desirable). They change fast after about 20 weeks. I think he was hatched mid April.

Color isn't great, but we think maybe it's workable. I'm hoping his back line gets more symmetrical and less tilty looking.

And for comparative purposes, here is a photo of Mr. Fatty, who is his father (same as my avatar). I see the resemblance. I think Junior might end up with a bit more chest and longer back (fingers crossed).

Wow !Thats an amazing difference in two weeks

I live in East Central Alabama. Is there anyone else on here that has some of her birds that is willing to sell some? I am hoping to pick them up, so if possible, in Alabama or Georgia. Or if you have some descendants of them. Even Fertilized eggs would be great! I would really love to have some good Delawares!
bow.gif

The question of feathering speed has come up elsewhere. Anyone working on this line and keeping it pure since the beginning ... have you ever noticed a faster-feathering chick?

@capayvalleychick @finnfur @Zanna

Is there anyone else still working with this line that started with F4s? (gee, how many times have I asked THAT question?)

The question of feathering speed has come up elsewhere. Anyone working on this line and keeping it pure since the beginning ... have you ever noticed a faster-feathering chick?

Is there anyone else still working with this line that started with F4s? (gee, how many times have I asked THAT question?)

I sometimes see slight improvements in feathering rate in some chicks. I make note of that. The problem is, as they age, all the other things that are involved in selection interfere with feathering rate being a priority. Does that make any sense?

I apologize for not keeping up with this thread. My life has become so busy, I'm behind on everything. Never volunteer to be on a breed association board of directors!
I hope to catch up in the next couple months. If you want to hear from me, here, tag me as above. I really care about you all and hope all is well and the coming year brings many standard Dels!
smile.png

I am not sure but with all the great conversation on feathering / barring on the Heritage Large fowl thread I am going to start monitering it. And most of this was over my head till they posted Yellow houses simplified version. Distinct barring seems to be related to feathering rate.

I am not sure but with all the great conversation on feathering / barring on the Heritage Large fowl thread I am going to start monitering it. And most of this was over my head till they posted Yellow houses simplified version. Distinct barring seems to be related to feathering rate.

So over my head, too. The word "simple" thrown around over there makes me feel a little weepy with "I'm so behind"edness!

But super cool conversation!!!!!!!!!! Our breeder/judge consultant has passed us some literature on feather rates, too. Right now I'm not reading great. I can read here cuz I can zoom in. Can't do that everywhere, and certainly can't in real life.

Back
Top Bottom