Delawares from kathyinmo

Speaking of selling problem birds ...

We had this one Delaware pullet in the laying flock that decided her nesting spot was on a shelf in the feed room where we keep tools & supplies. She'd knock the stuff off the shelf, then lay an egg which would almost always roll off the shelf and break, causing a feeding frenzy (who gets there first? chickens or Gust?). She was such a stinker. She'd scream at me every time I went into the feed room. So I sold her to the neighbor (yay! $15!). Now there is an EE trying to claim that same spot. It really irks me to have the green eggs go splat, so I'm considering setting a box up there for her ... undecided if I do cardboard boxes I can lift down, or just put a little lip on the edge of the shelf. Le sigh. If you can't beat them, join them.
hit.gif

I'm going to have to entirely remove the top shelf because I can't see up there without a ladder. Le sigh.

(yes, we have LOTS of LOVELY nesting boxes ... but some chickens just need to be "special")

Speaking of selling problem birds ...

We had this one Delaware pullet in the laying flock that decided her nesting spot was on a shelf in the feed room where we keep tools & supplies. She'd knock the stuff off the shelf, then lay an egg which would almost always roll off the shelf and break, causing a feeding frenzy (who gets there first? chickens or Gust?). She was such a stinker. She'd scream at me every time I went into the feed room. So I sold her to the neighbor (yay! $15!). Now there is an EE trying to claim that same spot. It really irks me to have the green eggs go splat, so I'm considering setting a box up there for her ... undecided if I do cardboard boxes I can lift down, or just put a little lip on the edge of the shelf. Le sigh. If you can't beat them, join them.
hit.gif

I'm going to have to entirely remove the top shelf because I can't see up there without a ladder. Le sigh.

(yes, we have LOTS of LOVELY nesting boxes ... but some chickens just need to be "special")

Small tote from wally world with a top - cut nest entrance in it - we used them for broody nests.
i have seen them on BYC used for outside nests.

Small tote from wally world with a top - cut nest entrance in it - we used them for broody nests.
i have seen them on BYC used for outside nests.

Finding something they can't knock off the shelf is the challenge. They really seem to enjoy clearing stuff off the shelves. I think our regular nesting trays are too wide, so if they perched on the front those would flip.

The more I think, the more I lean toward the lip edge idea ... could just screw that to the front of the shelf. Then if I wanted to be super generous, I could staple a privacy curtain to the front edge of the shelf above. Could maybe even do nest dividers the same way, stapled from above, so the hens don't have to perch on anything to move across the shelf.

I can't believe I'm humoring them. Edited to add: But I just got a new power drill. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Hello Leslie,
Certainly you jest about all the preventive havoc you would invoke to keep away the predator types. You could have been General Sherman's adjutant as he marched through Georgia (LOL). Seriously, wouldn't a day duty dog be enough? Bringing the pooch in after all the vulnerables have been secured for the night should satisfy all needs, emotions, etc. Right?
My best to you and thanks for all the tips and observations.
Sincerely,
Neal, the Zooman

Just a catalog of all the suggestions. Dog was on the list.

I was going to post a photo of my dream solution, but don't own the copyright for any photos of prisons. You all know what razor wire and gun towers look like anyway.

Besides dealing directly with the one coyote who lunches here, I think we'll close (most of) the gaps in the existing fence with exactly the same kind of fence we have elsewhere and call it good. It will be about 150' of fresh fencing.

We have found that moving the fence out beyond the grazing area is the best solution for keeping our birds from going over the top.

Last edited:
Besides dealing directly with the one coyote who lunches here, I think we'll close (most of) the gaps in the existing fence with exactly the same kind of fence we have elsewhere and call it good. It will be about 150' of fresh fencing.
I wish I was close - I would call Willey Coyote in for lunch and then turn his lights out.

Three days ago a Fox made the mistake of getting in our back fenced yard-about 2 acres- won't make that mistake again.
I had been seeing pics of two of them on the game cam but they stayed behind the yard area.
I guess with three dogs on the attack she couldn't get back over in time and made her stand backed into the corner are I found her.
I usually don't worry about the foxes as if they are here the coyote are not. As they don't tolerate each other.

Back
Top Bottom