Delawares from kathyinmo

Oh man ! thats a setback but keep on rolling . Was that your select breeding hens. ?

They were passable for breeders but not the top of the bunch though. They were such good broodies and I'm sick about losing them. Fortunately I still have the best ones in the main coop also have some bantams setting on more so barring any more disasters I should be able to progress.

I am so excited to have some F6's hatching next week. (Hopefully)
wink.png

Well, I've tried and tried to find Delaware hatching eggs. Contacted everyone around with breeding stock. They have either lost to predictor or have already open their pins and have no pure eggs. I had no idea it was so hard to get Delaware hatching eggs. If there is anyone that can ship eggs to me in Illinois I would really like at least 2 dozen. Thanks

Well, I've tried and tried to find Delaware hatching eggs. Contacted everyone around with breeding stock. They have either lost to predictor or have already open their pins and have no pure eggs. I had no idea it was so hard to get Delaware hatching eggs. If there is anyone that can ship eggs to me in Illinois I would really like at least 2 dozen. Thanks

Contact eight acres farms in Florida. Not kathy's line but they are nice birds

I'm starting to think one of us needs to be certified so we can ship eggs.

Personally, I'd like to be a little closer to producing a "keeper" with every chick. But also nobody else is going to be able to jump in and help with the project in a new area of the continent unless/until someone can ship eggs.

I do keep my breeding pen set up year-round. But I don't ship.

I'm starting to think one of us needs to be certified so we can ship eggs.

Personally, I'd like to be a little closer to producing a "keeper" with every chick. But also nobody else is going to be able to jump in and help with the project in a new area of the continent unless/until someone can ship eggs. 

I do keep my breeding pen set up year-round. But I don't ship. 

X2
Let me know if that happens, I'll have plenty of room next spring to devote to breeding this line if I could get some of them.

X2
Let me know if that happens, I'll have plenty of room next spring to devote to breeding this line if I could get some of them.

So far I have too many birds to make it practical. I have a laying flock and pretty demanding egg customers. And I think my breeding partner would need to be tested, too. Cuz we want to be able to share breeders if necessary (like we did this year).

I'm pretty sure some people ignore the certification rules, but I don't.

Yeah the certification is the big hurdle. A lot of us are really only running backyard flocks so it makes it hard.
I know a number of people who avoid the certification by doing only local pickup.

I wonder if running a meetup like service for a chicken train might not be a bad idea

If you could get a number of runners set up you could coordinate moving eggs across a fairly large route pretty easily.

ie Portland to Sacramento chicken train making stops

Leg 1 Portland, Salem, Eugene
Leg 2 Eugene Roseburg medford
Leg 3 Medford Mt Shasta Redding
Leg 4 Redding, Willows, Sacramento

each place 2-4 meetup/swaps per day at prearranged departure times. Most drives would be less than 2 hours.

Im sure something could be done for other areas too.

Back
Top Bottom