Desperate mama (sorry so long)

Bartonsfinest

Songster
Jul 13, 2022
Barton Ohio
I gotta ask everyone who reads this thread a question about my hen nuggets hopefully I can get some answers Im desperate and heartbroken.

My 10 month old black sex link hen Mcnuggets use to be so gentle to everyone even to my two dogs, and so loveable. Every night when I would put her and her sister (McChicken) back into there coop for the night she would jump onto my back and I would let her and her sister snuggle up into the back of my hair and sleep for a good hour before my back couldn't take it anymore.

Ever since nuggies started laying eggs her whole personality has changed. Not for the better either she has become more aggressive towards me attacking my legs and feet out of nowhere. I feed both my hens worms out of my hand and I feel like nuggets purposely tries to nip my skin.

My other hen use to be alpha but nuggies dominates her and now nuggies is #1. We don't have our cuddle time at night anymore because the last time she was on my back she Pecked me in the face. My last straw was this evening when I was changing her hay and for no reason she came rushing towards me and started to peck at my shins.

I know this might seem pathetic to some people on here and I couldn't honestly care but my one feeling I have left is hurt and I'm heartbroken I take very good care of both my hens they are spoiled and are loved by my whole family.

Is there anything I can do or what could be wrong? I took a poultry behavioral course I don't recall anything like my story was covered PLEASE ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!!!

It's not at all pathetic, but it's not that uncommon.
You may have read similar accounts related to what were cuddly cockerels turning into aggressive little monsters at a similar age. You may also have heard stories from parents, particulalry mothers and daughters where their daughters starts to fight with their mothers after puberty.
Your pullet has now become a hen. Some make the transition with the minimum amount of drama; others not so much. As far as your hen is concerend she is now your equal. Yep, it sounds a little crazy but along with the hormone changes often come behavioural changes and sometimes they are not particulalry pleasant.

There isn't much you can do except wait, try to adjust your behaviour given the new status your hen considers herself to have. A bit of patience and the passing of time while your hen adjusts will probably improve the situation, but your pullet isn't a baby any more.

Now everyone will think we are both crazy.:)

I know this might seem pathetic to some people on here and I couldn't honestly care but my one feeling I have left is hurt and I'm heartbroken I take very good care of both my hens they are spoiled and are loved by my whole family.
There you have it. She did not learn that you are the one on top of the hierarchy. So now she claims it for herself.

Nothing pathetic to feel disappointed and hurt by this behaviour, but you have to keep in mind that she is acting according to chicken rules, not human ones. Try to emotionally distance yourself a bit. And don't reward attacks with treats, just to distract her.

Thank you!! The Light bulb went off she's is acting what comes naturally to her I got both of them last July and at the time I was in a very dark place in my life. To be honest they saved my life! when everything got to be so dark and miserable they gave me a purpose to get up out of bed everyday and face the world them slowly I got back to myself and started dealing with the truma I endured before I got them. I feel like I emotionally depend on them way more then I should

You both gave me VERY GOOD ADVICE I'm going to emotionally disconnect from nuggets for awhile and try to adjust to her new tude I can be good at dodging hormonal females I have 2 teenage daughters lol and just try to keep in mind it's not personal it's just animal instinct

Thank you!! The Light bulb went off she's is acting what comes naturally to her I got both of them last July and at the time I was in a very dark place in my life. To be honest they saved my life! when everything got to be so dark and miserable they gave me a purpose to get up out of bed everyday and face the world them slowly I got back to myself and started dealing with the truma I endured before I got them. I feel like I emotionally depend on them way more then I should
Yes, chickens as well as other animals have therapeutic qualities. But now you are much better and able to slowly let them take their rightful place as chickens and treat them as such.

Also I read somewhere that to show who's at the top to maybe spray her with cold water to kind put her into check but idk about that lol
I would not wet or spray as she could accidentally inhale the water, but walk right through her every time she invades my personal space. This will teach her to respect you and works great with overly confident cockerels and should work with her too.

Back
Top Bottom