destruction and disposal orders HELP

Coincidence? No, the USDA is clever at how to use AI to increase egg prices & intimidate the commercial ranchers to pay under the table for a clean bill of health.  Or as one BYCer said someone in the 6 figure salary is wanting to come out smelling like a rose and thump their chest to say  "see what a good boy I am - I thwarted an epidemic in my state by killing flocks all over the place!"  I'm not eloquent but you get the idea.

aGREED(pun intended)
I hate being so cynical but life has shown that this is usually the case. People in power are generally there b/c they like being power, not to help people. The only thing that matters to most of them is keeping their salaries and egos stuffed.
(GENERALLY, and MOST)

I am so glad for this outcome for so many reasons, though. Among others it has restored an amount of faith in the media.

Last edited:
I read as much as I could find on AI this weekend. The pessimist in me wants to think that the USDA and the media are oversensationalizing it, but it is a scary thing. From what I gather, my closed flock should be fine, and I am not near any major waterfowl travel lanes, so I'm not as worried as I was. Some of the stories of the giant kills, and how they have to compost entire barns of birds, are just incredible.
The huge poultry farms that had to cull, must incinerate their birds, and do some sort of chemical sprays on their soils. I am not sure about how long the virus can live in the soils, I think as long as your soils dry out completely, that kills the virus.
The virus can live indefinitely in wet or frozen soils.
I cannot imaging how the Dept of Ag gathers up tens of thousands of turkeys (for example) and trucks them somewhere (and without silling "a drop of " virus along the way.....Incinrerates all those fowl.......where ?
A morgue ?
idunno.gif

Seems they'd be taking a giant risk transmitting the virus in this act to kill the virus !?
The personnel/the trucking/the transporting into a facility to incinerate, all risks.

aGREED(pun intended)
I hate being so cynical but life has shown that this is usually the case. People in power are generally there b/c they like beinin power, not to help people. The only thing that matters to most of them is keeping their salaries and egos stuffed.
(GENERALLY, and MOST)

I am so glad for this outcome for so many reasons, though. Among others it has restored an amount of faith in the media.

I'm still not putting faith in the media - it was one smart savvy reporter in the right place at the right time and I will never forget her - who says blonde is dumb?
The huge poultry farms that had to cull, must incinerate their birds, and do some sort of chemical sprays on their soils. I am not sure about how long the virus can live in the soils, I think as long as your soils dry out completely, that kills the virus.
I cannot imaging how the Dept of Ag gathers up tens of thousands of turkeys (for example) and trucks them somewhere (and without silling "a drop of " virus along the way.....Incinrerates all those fowl.......where ?
A morgue ?
idunno.gif

Seems they'd be taking a giant risk transmitting the virus in this act to kill the virus !?
The personnel/the trucking/the transporting into a facility to incinerate, all risks.
My feeling exactly.

Apiaryandaviary: love your avatar. Compare it to mine! Tell me about your roo. EE?

I clicked on the link to the news segment several times, and couldn't get it. Any suggestions? Glad this fight was won. If any other battles come up, it would be wise to follow the same format, and muster all forces to save our flocks. Good getting the media on board. Witch hunt averted. I will tell you all that I am implementing my own strategy to ensure flock preservation in the event that something similar happens in my area. I'd advise you all to do likewise!
Well said. We are postponing any shopping for another breed from out-of-state until this AI storm subsides.

When we went through this in the '80's in potentials, they put the carcasses in large sealed drums for transport. There are a lot of incinerators if the farm doesn't already have one ( many do).

The clothes, equipment and truck's were disinfected. Personnel bathed.

I know there is a truck wash near me solely for poultry trick disinfection. They use high pressure boiling water that is filtered and recirculated. They do this even when there isn't an AI outbreak. Standard procedure in my area, it's called biosecurity.

I at one time worked in poultry houses moving birds in and out and also worked the truck wash on occasion during the last outbreak.

Rock River Poultry and Exotics, in Iowa shipped live birds and hatching eggs to over 75% of the states.

I got this from another forum and im sure its the source of the eggs. they sold online and through ebay.

SORRY im wrong here.... John bought his eggs from someone in SD, not IOWA....
(
I live in SD and have heard nothing about a private non-commercial flock being culled. The only ones on the news here are large scale operations. No mention of backyard flocks, so I'm confused as to where the eggs came from? Closest hatchery is in IA.

(
I live in SD and have heard nothing about a private non-commercial flock being culled. The only ones on the news here are large scale operations. No mention of backyard flocks, so I'm confused as to where the eggs came from? Closest hatchery is in IA.

I think he mistakenly said SD, but they came from Iowa maybe?... he did say it was a hatchery... believe he was trying not to point fingers or spread blame, as he did state that he believed they did not *knowingly* ship after being infected...

Ya thats what i thought aswell.... bottom line is dont bring in anything at a time like this...

here in Canada, Ontario we had 2 farms totaling 80 000 birds, Canadas regulations for disposal has only 1 option. compost on site in the infected barn, 90 days... test everday after such a period of time i cant remember all the details. but no birds are to be removed from the infected barns. in the US your regulations are fricken crazy... they are moving birds out to wherever, landfills, fields and burrying them, incinerating them isnt fool proof either... so called sterilizing the barns asap and filling them back up with a new crop! WOW and the virus is still spreading across the US like a wild fire in a hayfield...

stay safe, good luck to you all!

A morgue ?
idunno.gif

One of the stories I read said that they closed the barn, gassed the birds, then had to compost the pile inside the barn while keeping the barn locked to keep out predators that may drag infected birds off. I will see if I can find the link to that story again

Back
Top Bottom