Dettol hatching eggs

ashleysavage88

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Does anyone recommend disinfecting hatching eggs and what the best way yo do this would be? I have a low hatching rate the last time and I think it was due to a couple of my eggs going bad to the point they started to seep a brown goo. I feel this then infected the others which lead to the low hatch rate. Could I simply dettol spray the eggs or would this kill them?

I Disinfect My Incubators After Each Hatch With Diluted Bleach Water Then Let Them Sit In The Sun .Then Before I Set Again I Spray With

Tek-Trol® Disinfectant Aerosol And Let Dry.​

I Disinfect My Incubators After Each Hatch With Diluted Bleach Water Then Let Them Sit In The Sun .Then Before I Set Again I Spray With

Tek-Trol® Disinfectant Aerosol And Let Dry.​

Have you ever cleaned dirty eggs before putting them in the incubator?

Have you ever cleaned dirty eggs before putting them in the incubator?
I ONLY do this if there is mud/poop on the eggs. Eggs typically shouldn't even be rinsed, let alone washed. I think someone did an experiment with this actually. Cleaned the eggs in hydrogen peroxide and got a poor hatch rate. It was a school project or something.
I would disinfect the bator, but eggs leaking isn't always due to bacteria. It simply means the egg died, and it has been in the warm bator or a long period of time rotting.
Can you tell us what type of bator? Do you have other/multiple calibrated thermometers and hygrometers in your bator? Where are you keeping your bator? Did you notice any temp/humidity swings? Did you wash your hands/wear gloves before handling the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom