Developed embryo in egg laid today?

slowloris

Songster
5 Years
May 5, 2017
West Michigan
This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. First the background. I had a flock of 14 hens (no roosters). On March 18 I picked up five Isa Brown pullets from Family Farm and Home. They were supposed to be point of lay but hadn't started laying. Early this week I got a couple of small "beginner" eggs. Well, today I found a broken egg with what looks like a developed embryo inside. I know the pullets had been in with roosters, so that's not the question. The weirdness is that this embryo must have developed to this point inside the hen. (Laid in a spot that I check multiple times a day). It was actually in the box with one of my established hens but it seems completely impossible that it was hers.
1681484253249.png

Any ideas?

This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. First the background. I had a flock of 14 hens (no roosters). On March 18 I picked up five Isa Brown pullets from Family Farm and Home. They were supposed to be point of lay but hadn't started laying. Early this week I got a couple of small "beginner" eggs. Well, today I found a broken egg with what looks like a developed embryo inside. I know the pullets had been in with roosters, so that's not the question. The weirdness is that this embryo must have developed to this point inside the hen. (Laid in a spot that I check multiple times a day). It was actually in the box with one of my established hens but it seems completely impossible that it was

Back
Top Bottom