Developing my own breeds of gamefowl and bantam

Pics
E5BF635E-052D-45F5-A47E-C6E19209938E.jpeg
93CF974F-BE93-4DA8-96F1-353E53432F9C.jpeg
Here is the surviving pair of 1/3 RJF 1/3 OEGB and 1/2 American Gamefowl
E694B1E5-F2D5-4823-9540-1E44338DD755.jpeg

And here is the Bruges X American stag

Hey, if you are still having issues with feed, I work at the Olsen's right there across from Mortimer's (you know where I'm talking) and I've heard great reviews about the Don Roberto's El Cantacor feed. It's a mix of grains, peas, sunflower seeds, and mineral and vitamin pellets, my hens love the little bit I gave them, and I'm going to buy some and try fermenting it (I tend to geek out on feeding, any animal, pig, goat, chicken, whatever). Everyone from fanciers to uninformed backyard layer keepers seem to love it.

06D2E1AC-3AE8-42BD-A103-BE5BC2CAC640.jpeg
I am starting to see some results and getting some ideas for next year on the red jungle fowl improvement and the orientals.
The Red jungle fowl improvement birds has gone pretty good the 75% RJF 25% OEGB stag is coming pretty good he is 8.5 months old and weighs 2lbs, I would have thought he would be larger than he is but he has good physique, color, and blue/ slate legs. The 50% American game 25% RJF 25% OEGB stag weighs in around 3.5lbs he will probably make it to 4.5lbs but doesn’t have great physique, not a great color and has white legs. So likely going to keep the 75% RJF 25% OEGB. Then cross him to the lanky to American pullet, the partridge American game hen, and one of the jungle fowl hens.
The Orientals are coming along nicely but slowly. The pure Bruges were all killed one got stepped on. But the rest disappeared quickly after being turned out probably because they strayed far from the main flock. But I was able to keep 2 Bruges x American a stag and a pullet the stag is around 4.5lbs and I expect when he matures he will be around 6.5 - 7lbs. The pullet is almost 2lbs but is quite lean but in frame is about the size of an American game hen. Since they are off of two unrelated hens. I am probably going to breed the stag to the pullet. This year the coopers hawks have been a big issue they killed a 1.5 pound lanky x American pullet, a 2lbs Bruges x American game stag, and plenty small chicks. So quickness is going to be a very important issue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom