Deworming chickens

Yes. Valbazen is best used as a first time wormer as it slowly kills worms over several days preventing blockages if there's an infestation of large roundworms. It also kills all known types of worms a chicken can get.

I'm not a vet, but I know that what other drugs such as amoxicillin, chickens get almost the same dosage as a human being. These dosages are usually available from veterinary drug books. Dawg53 knows a lot more than I do about worming, but he hasn't been online in awhile. His later posts about worming are very reliable. When this sight started about 8 years ago worming was very different, but due to ivermectin and some drugs becoming ineffective due to resistance from the worms, the later posts are better to read.

Reading up on worming and I can't help but think...can your chickens get worms if they aren't free ranging? Stupid question?

Not a stupid question! The short answer is yes they could still get worms. They are less likely, depending on the conditions they are kept in and how they are housed, but the chance is not zero. Some worms are carried by flying or other insects and earthworms and slugs, so they could still eat an infected source and become infected. Bringing in a new bird that was infected would spread worm eggs in those droppings, which could then be ingested by other birds pecking on the ground. Wild bird droppings can also carry worm eggs. Some environments have a heavy parasite load, and some do not. Here is a good article on worms and worming: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html

Funny, you can't buy Rooster Booster Multi-Wormer right now, I'm wondering if that might have been discontinued or something.
The original formula had hygromycin b in it, which is an antibiotic. January 01, 2017, almost all antibiotics that could be added to food or water became prescription only, and hygromycin wagon that list.

Last edited:
I am sooo confused!!!

I live in Arco Idaho... I have 7 laying hens, a rooster, 24 geese, 2 goats and 1 mammoth and 1 mini donkey... everybody seems to eat everybodys poop...

I have never wormed any of my birds and would love to know an easy way to do so that will take care of whatever worms we may be dealing with... as I have NO idea...

I need the easiest remedy possible please... my geese are NOT friendly so picking them up at any time and worming them is NOT going to happen
most of my chickens will tolerate me getting hold of them when roosting...

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom