Deworming with fenbendazole

Sue Gremlin

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Colebrook, CT
I did a fecal on my chickens and thought I'd share the process, hopefully this be informative.

I am planning to treat my hens with 20 mg/kg fenbendazole for tapeworms and nematodes.
Here's what I found on the fecal exam.

Ascaridia (roundworms):
IMG_0694 copy.jpg

There were many, many of these tapeworm eggs. If you look inside the egg, you can see the little hooks. There are six of these so what's inside each egg is called a hexacanth embryo. (hex = 6, acanth = thorny).

IMG_0687 copy.jpg

Here is a "squash prep" of a motile (moving) tapeworm segment I found in the chicken feces. They have an impressive number of eggs in the uteri. This is only one group of proglottids, each segment is delineated pretty clearly here. Each segment has its own uterus, testes and a vagina. They are literally baby-making machines, these things. They're amazing.
Here's a segment of about 3 mm that I picked out of feces and literally squashed it between a slide and a coverslip. Each of the striations is an individual segment. Whatever species this is (Railletina, I think) sheds proglottids in packets like this. This is 4x magnification.

IMG_0691 copy.jpg

Moving up to 10x, you can start to see how much of this thing is actually eggs which you can see spilling out due to being squished.

IMG_0703 copy.jpg

And closer still at 40x. All eggs. They are actually really magnificent creatures, aren't they?

IMG_0693 copy.jpg

Here's a shot of the edge of the whole package, showing individual segments. The vagina is seen here, but you have to really look. They are a tiny divot at the edge, just right of each high point. The one in the middle appears to have an egg emerging from it.

IMG_0697 copy.jpg

So. Neat. My chickens have worms. Time to deworm them. To make it simplest, I am planning to treat with oral fenbendazole, 20 mg/kg once a day for three days, then I'll recheck them after 2 weeks. This should kill the tapeworms at this dose, and will kill any nematodes they have too, including gapeworm if those happen to be present.

IMG_0688 copy.jpg

My chickens weigh about 2 kg (I'll get exact weights later on) so if I want to kill the tapeworms, I'll give them 20 mg/kg, or about 40 mg per chicken per day for 3 days.

I weighed out 8 grams of paste, which equals 800 mg total.

IMG_0689 copy.jpg

For ease of dosing, I brought it up to 20 mL with distilled water so it's a liquid. Each mL now contains 40 mg fenbendazole, so I will have enough premix to dose everyone. I don't know how stable FBZ is in water, I plan to use it all between now and Monday, but I am keeping it in the fridge just in case. This is OFF LABEL use for chickens, so I plan to discard all eggs for at least 21 days.

IMG_0704 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I did a fecal on my chickens and thought I'd share the process, hopefully this be informative.

I am planning to treat my hens with 20 mg/kg fenbendazole for tapeworms and nematodes.
Here's what I found on the fecal exam.

Ascaridia (roundworms):
View attachment 1711364
There were many, many of these tapeworm eggs.

View attachment 1711366

Here is a "squash prep" of a motile (moving) tapeworm segment I found in the chicken feces. They have an impressive number of eggs in the uteri. This is only one group of proglottids, each segment is delineated pretty clearly here. Each segment has its own uterus, testes and a vagina. They are literally baby-making machines, these things. They're amazing.
Here's a segment of about 3 mm that I picked out of feces and literally squashed it between a slide and a coverslip. Each of the striations is an individual segment. Whatever species this is (Railletina, I think) sheds proglottids in packets like this. This is 4x magnification.

View attachment 1711368

Moving up to 10x, you can start to see how much of this thing is actually eggs which you can see spilling out due to being squished.

View attachment 1711369

And closer still at 40x. All eggs. They are actually really magnificent creatures, aren't they?

View attachment 1711370

Here's a shot of the edge of the whole package, showing individual segments. The vagina is seen here, but you have to really look. They are a tiny divot at the edge, just right of each high point. The one in the middle appears to have an egg emerging from it.

View attachment 1711374

So. Neat. My chickens have worms. Time to deworm them. To make it simplest, I am planning to treat with oral fenbendazole, 20 mg/kg once a day for three days, then I'll recheck them after 2 weeks. This should kill the tapeworms at this dose, and will kill any nematodes they have too, including gapeworm if those happen to be present.

View attachment 1711375

My chickens weigh about 2 kg (I'll get exact weights later on) so if I want to kill the tapeworms, I'll give them 20 mg/kg, or about 40 mg per chicken per day for 3 days.

I weighed out 8 grams of paste, which equals 800 mg total.

View attachment 1711378

For ease of dosing, I brought it up to 20 mL with distilled water so it's a liquid. Each mL now contains 40 mg fenbendazole, so I will have enough premix to dose everyone. I don't know how stable FBZ is in water, I plan to use it all between now and Monday, but I am keeping it in the fridge just in case. This is OFF LABEL use for chickens, so I plan to discard all eggs for at least 21 days.

View attachment 1711398
Good stuff Sue.:clap
Getting the dosage right with Flubendazole worming products can be a bit of a mission.
Here with Flubenvet for example the amount of the active ingredient, flubendazole, varies from 6% for a given volume of product to 1%.
The box instructions give dosage per quantity of feed more often thhan not when what you want is the dosage per fowl weight.

This is the first time I've seen a Proglottid under a microscope, containing thousands and thousands of eggs. It puts things in perspective how a small insect such as an ant or common earthworm can become host, then infect a chicken once the insect is eaten and completing its lifecycle. Great job Sue, I love it!

BTW; good luck with the fenbendazole. Let us know how it goes. It failed to treat tapes in my birds.

This is the first time I've seen a Proglottid under a microscope, containing thousands and thousands of eggs. It puts things in perspective how a small insect such as an ant or common earthworm can become host, then infect a chicken once the insect is eaten and completing its lifecycle. Great job Sue, I love it!

BTW; good luck with the fenbendazole. Let us know how it goes. It failed to treat tapes in my birds.
I will post an update when I do the recheck! I am giving them a pretty high dose so fingers crossed. I can give them praziquantel, too, but that is not approved in food animals at all, so it makes me feel a bit squidgy giving it to my chickens.

Tapeworms are all different, and I was surprised to see so many segments in one proglottid. Some shed single proglottids, some shed a bunch like this, and some don't shed at all, they just lay eggs.

Tapeworms are tough to get rid of, I know you've seen a few of my posts regarding treatments. Attempting to control insect population, especially here in the south is a challenge.
Albendazole used to work well but I believe tapes are becoming resistant to the product and requiring higher doses and withholding feed for a period of time. Withholding feed is very effective controlling nematodes.
I've ended up using praziquantel for tapes and eaten eggs afterwards. The last time I dealt with them was back in 2010-2011...I'm still here lol.
I think @casportpony posted a withdrawal period for praziquantel once before. Hopefully she'll chime in.

Tapeworms are tough to get rid of, I know you've seen a few of my posts regarding treatments. Attempting to control insect population, especially here in the south is a challenge.
Albendazole used to work well but I believe tapes are becoming resistant to the product and requiring higher doses and withholding feed for a period of time. Withholding feed is very effective controlling nematodes.
I've ended up using praziquantel for tapes and eaten eggs afterwards. The last time I dealt with them was back in 2010-2011...I'm still here lol.
I think @casportpony posted a withdrawal period for praziquantel once before. Hopefully she'll chime in.
Resistant strains are becoming a problem mainly due to routine worming of chickens.
I don't worm routinely because of this.

Back
Top Bottom