deworming

claudiabruckert

Songster
8 Years
Nov 8, 2014
How do you feed the deworming pellets? They were prescribed by my vet. I got them at the feed store. But the chickens just don't like them.

W
How do you feed the deworming pellets? They were prescribed by my vet. I got them at the feed store. But the chickens just don't like them.
Well and that's the problem with trying to use pelleted wormer. Even if they do eat it I feel dosing is imprecise at best. I find it much better to use a good broad spectrum liquid such as Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats. Each bird gets dosed orally with a needless syringe. That way each bird gets the dose it needs for the wormer to be effective.

W
Well and that's the problem with trying to use pelleted wormer. Even if they do eat it I feel dosing is imprecise at best. I find it much better to use a good broad spectrum liquid such as Valbazen or liquid Safeguard for goats. Each bird gets dosed orally with a needless syringe. That way each bird gets the dose it needs for the wormer to be effective.

X 2 - I don't use pelleted/feed through parasite control for any of our animals - chickens included. I prefer to have control over dosage and assurance of each animal having been treated. Under-dosing of parasite control is not only ineffective, but can actually help the parasites to develop resistance to the treatments - neither of which does the animals being treated any good.
That being said, if you are determined to use pelleted treatment you would do best to offer it at the point of hunger for your flock - meaning remove feeders at dusk to avoid them filling up upon waking and then go out and present the pellets - IF they are going to eat them this is the time they will do so.

Thank you both for your advice.
I started grinding the pellets into powder and adding yoghurt, fruit and sunflower seeds. That helps for the moment. The dosage is still a problem. I just don't want to have to catch each one and administer the medicine.

I have 8 be by silkies . How do I know if they have worms. I am such a novice, albeit a very enthusiastic one.
I only noticed because the birds kept having smelly diarrhea. Their feces turned more and more reddish, so I suspected blood in the stool. And then I actually saw a bunch of worms in one of the droppings. That's when I finally went to the vet. I should have gone earlier.

Gather up various fresh fecal samples, put them in a ziplock bag and take them to a vet and have them look for worm oocysts under a microscope.
It's best to only put the droppings of each bird in a separate bag. Label the bags. The droppings need to be fresh. (I just went through this several times.)

Back
Top Bottom