Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
bird shot normally disinfects sparrows
hide.gif

d-lemonine (found in some adams products) has been known to cause some issues with feathering - cant remember why, or where i read this.. use your own judgement. if memory serves me correctly it was burning and curling of certain feathers- not something you would want on a show bird. if your not showing your chickens, it would probably be a great method to get rid of them.

frontline or any related product will cause a 30 day egg withdraw, but they do work. im not sure of the active ingredient in frontline type products, but i know its systemic and is supposed to last 30 days.

this is not intended to be an argument, we are talking about poisons and we all need to be educated about them. my training was 6 years ago and i have forgotten a lot. and several new things have emerged since i took the classes.

keep in mind too, several of the poisons are toxic to fish and waterfowl. it seems to me (memory might be wrong) that pyretherins and permetherins sprays are toxic to fish.

any poison you decide to use should be thoroughly researched, look up MSDS sheets for the chemical name. remember to treat all poisons as such.

on another note, if your chickens are in optimum health; lice and mites wont affect them much. there are some farms that dont even treat for them. i do not want to send them out accidently, so i do treat. keeping them bug free also makes for happier chickens.

No problems here. Good information. I only dust so I have not used anything else on my birds. Just trying to offer other options besides a wormer.

ivomec is an insecticide/wormer, not just a wormer. why i like it over sprays and powders is - it only affects parasites on the chickens. with the decline in the honeybee population i try to watch what i use now.

there are 2 different ways of looking at this:
you can dust or spray your chickens, and worm separately if needed. if you dont need the wormer it is probably a lower dose of poison to just treat the lice/mites.

if you know you have both lice/mites and worms or you are unsure, this is one poison with a 2 time application.

so, is it better to use one stronger poison 2 times, or a weaker poison several times? i cannot answer this question for anyone other than myself. i am not saying this is the best method for everyone else, its my method as the caretaker of 500+ birds. i do not sell eggs for eating purposes, and i usually dont sell my breeders for eating purposes. if i did sell a retired breeder, it would be in a "clean pen" for a month before its sold. by clean pen i mean a pen that does not get any medicines or pesticides - a pen for birds to be eaten.

i do agree other options should be explored, and i do as i can. but when i find something that works well for me, i do get a little hard headed LOL. i would love to see some research on spinosad, and how it does with chickens and killing lice and mites. i haven't been able to find any real numbers.

Chick #4 hatched last night. The prettiest of the bunch. It's got a leg problem though... I'm going to splint it and see if I can fix it
fl.gif

I know that permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and I try to be as careful as possible since raising koi is another hobby of mine.  I didn't know that it affects waterfowl.  I need to look into that since I do have 4 ducks and 2 geese. 

We use hay for bedding.  Sounds like it's time for a major clean out.

I'll continue researching. My hope is to find something that's effective and fairly safe.  I know it's more than likely fine, but even the poultry dust bothers me.  It says that if it gets on your skin, you should rinse for 15 to 20 minutes and call poison control, yet I'm rubbing it into the skin of my chickens. 

If only there was a way to disinfect the barn sparrows...

Can you not dust their nest and around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom