DIary of a novice, shipped egg, broody hatch

Thanks guys. The weird noise was probably because pullets this age should not be crying for their mums lol.

She even sat in the nest box today and 'helped' mum lay an egg :)

Just sat and read your thread, it was very interesting, I'm sorry u only got 1 egg to hatch out of 12 after all the hard work, but I was thinking about getting shipped eggs, and putting them under my silkie, but I'm not so sure now
1f602.png
, but she/he is beautiful now :)

Just sat and read your thread, it was very interesting, I'm sorry u only got 1 egg to hatch out of 12 after all the hard work, but I was thinking about getting shipped eggs, and putting them under my silkie, but I'm not so sure now
1f602.png
, but she/he is beautiful now :)

I plan to do it again next spring but will be doing it more prepared. I really do think that had a lot to do with our lack of success. I still need my blue and black girls to complete the trio :)

Next time I will borrow the incubator and have it all set up ready, and I will put half the eggs under the silkie and half in the incubator. She really wasn't big enough for any more (she is I suspect on the small side even for a silkie)

Our little girl is a big girl now :) and due to start laying any day.

Last edited:
She's so beautiful Apps!!
love.gif

Assuming everything goes to plan for me, I'm hoping to hatch my first batch of pure Australorps from my girls and roo this spring... I'm so excited
big_smile.png

Thanks guys. We think she's a cutie too. Really good personality too, was so hard to get those photos cause she kept running up to me and getting too close so the lens wouldn't focus :)

She is now the biggest in the flock, can't wait to see if she is a good layer. The girls are sort of letting the side down on that at the moment as they are all moulting but the other six normally only average at best about 2-3 eggs a day between them. Will be interesting if she helps them lift their numbers.

HATCHING EGGS TAKE 2!

So spring is in the air again and so we have decided to try for that blue and black australorp again.

I emailed the lady we got our eggs off last year and she has orders up to the 15th. I've asked her to put us in the queue, just waiting to hear back.

Our little silkie penny has right on queue decided to go broody for us. She is a week earlier than the eggs so I'm thinking I'll feed her up as much as I can this week so the extra week-10 days doesn't take too much out of her.

She has been in the nesting box the last two days so this morning I carried her into Alcatraz where she brooded last year. She wandered round for about ten minutes before settling happily into the new nest I'd made for her. She really is a fantastic chick brooder. :)

I do see one problem this year. Peppa who she hatched last year is busily trying to work up the pecking order so pecks at her whenever she gets a chance (what a darling daughter) so I just hope she isn't a problem when it comes time to put them all back together. She is such a big girl that just because of her size she packs a mean peck.

Last edited:
Ohh yay!! Hope it goes better for you this year! I enjoyed following this thread last year, so I will follow again this year
smile.png

I'm still waiting for one of my hens to go broody, wish they'd hurry up, haha
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom