DIary of a novice, shipped egg, broody hatch

Ohh yay!! Hope it goes better for you this year! I enjoyed following this thread last year, so I will follow again this year :)

I'm still waiting for one of my hens to go broody, wish they'd hurry up, haha :p

I plan to be a lot more organised this time :). Hubby is picking up the incubator this week so I'll get it all set up and running properly BEFORE the eggs arrive. It was so out with it's temp and humidity readings last time I need a good week to work out what's what with it. Will only put six eggs under her this time, she's such a tiny little thing. The rest are going in the incubator and if they hatch I'll slip them under her.

Hope yours goes broody for you soon! Try finding eggs you need to wait for, penny wasn't broody till I found out I had to wait for ours, then bang off she went. Duh lol

I plan to be a lot more organised this time :). Hubby is picking up the incubator this week so I'll get it all set up and running properly BEFORE the eggs arrive. It was so out with it's temp and humidity readings last time I need a good week to work out what's what with it. Will only put six eggs under her this time, she's such a tiny little thing. The rest are going in the incubator and if they hatch I'll slip them under her.

Hope yours goes broody for you soon! Try finding eggs you need to wait for, penny wasn't broody till I found out I had to wait for ours, then bang off she went. Duh lol
Sounds like you're all set, I'm sure It will be much better this year
big_smile.png

I'm hoping to hatch 3 different bunches this year... one lot will be shipped eggs. I've found a breeder I've contacted and she said that I just have to let her know when i've got a hen ready and she'll express post the eggs, should take a couple of days to arrive, so that should work out good!
smile.png

Change of plans already. Breeder just emailed to say her hens caught up so she can ship eggs next week! Hubby better remember to bring home that incubator tomorrow!

Anyone ever lace feed with alcohol to help your girls "relax" before preparing them for the table? I gave 12 5 month old austrolorps a pint of 80 proof rum in 2 cups of feed and they thought they were having a social. Did not slow them down a bit. Pound for pound that is like this 205 lbs. Soo do farmer guzzling 2 1/2 pints. Never have but I know That would but me on my behonkus.

No idea, this thread is about hatching eggs not got any idea about dispatching chickens.

Tried for weeks on several threads with no reply? Even started a new thread still no reply? Are we not allowed to discuss imbibing here? Just thought I would toss it out and see sorry.

Lol. No idea :). Never got my chickens drunk before lol. Just you won't get any help with your question on this thread. as it's not related to your subject

There is a thread called something like processing day support. Try a search for that, you will probably have more luck asking on that one as all those posting on it are processing chickens. Good luck!

Got my incubator again. It's the same one I borrowed last time, a janoel 24. Got a week and a bit to get it working properly this time. It was way out with both what it said the temp and humidity was last time so I've pulled my hygrometer out of my hermit crab tank and will be working off it's temperatures etc not the incubators

Last edited:
Darn this incubator stuff is tricky. Trying to find a containeri can put in there to better help regulate the humidity. If I use the channels it came with I get about 75% humidity. A 1/4 cup measuring cup with water gives me about 60%. Having trouble finding something just that little bit smaller to get me down to 50%.

Darn this incubator stuff is tricky. Trying to find a containeri can put in there to better help regulate the humidity. If I use the channels it came with I get about 75% humidity. A 1/4 cup measuring cup with water gives me about 60%. Having trouble finding something just that little bit smaller to get me down to 50%.
That sounds confusing! I think I'll stick with broody hens for now, haha
tongue.png

Hope you can get it sorted before you get the eggs!

Tell me about it! I'd stick to broody hens too, just wish penny had a big enough butt to sit on them all so I didn't need it lol

DAY 0!

Eggs arrived, four smashed, three sticky with smashed egg and five clean.

Have put the five clean ones under penny, the three gently wiped sticky ones in the incubator.

Gives us a hatching date of the 8th October 2015!

Back
Top Bottom