Diatomaceous earth--- Really that harmless?????

Carla, I've only used it on my dogs as a flea powder and internally as a wormer. I was going to use it on the chickens for the same reason, but impacted crop sounds scary. What do you use a wormer for chickens?

I use Eprinex pour on cattle wormer twice a year. 1/2 cc for standard breeds and 1/4 cc for bantams. Push aside some feathers on back and apply. Has no withdrawal period for eggs.

Thank you.
smile.png

Has no withdrawal period for eggs.

That means I don't have to stop eating them for a period of time, correct?​

When using it to dust a coop or in the run where the chickens dust bathe, is there a danger they can get it into their eyes and create a problem?
Is there a right way/wrong way to apply DE? I want to prevent mites, etc.

Having used it plenty, I have not seen any problems with dust in the eyes. Personally, I don't know how they don't have problems with the dirt they flop into the air when doing their regular dustbathing!

To get a more even spread of DE at the dusting areas, my sister turned me on to using a flour sifter. I get a nice even layer on the ground and the chickens work it in. Not necessary to have it evenly on the ground, but makes me feel better!

If you're dusting the girls directly, it's not any different than using sevin dust or "poultry dust". You just have to make sure to get it well under the feathers, down to the skin.

I only dust bathe them directly if they have it--in my case when I bring a rescue chicken home!

Sandra

I just want to add that with all that dust and dander etc etc..you would be best having masks for your children to wear as my mother is asthmatic and she can't even go into my coops without having an attack..i don't use DE and don't plan on it. I worm with Safegaurd and alternate with Ivermectin and delouse the same if needed.

I have an alternative which might also help with the problem of dust...here in holland most folks have their run and such paved...easy to clean and sterilize which will help with both problems

I'm new to chickens but an old hat at pest control. We've (family) been using DE for pest control for a few years now. I too have fed this to my animals with no side effects. We spread it in the dust bath and sprinkle it into the coop at and sometimes between cleanings. It is said that animals that consume this product will excrete it and the feces will then also have DE which will reduce the number of flies around the poop or the coop. The product I've used is called OrganicOne and is available from independent reps. This product is mixed with a clumping agent that causes it to "stick" to surfaces and blow around less than the plain type. I also advise not spreading it in windy conditions or closing onesself into a confined space but not because of harmful effects. Simply put any dusty product can affect the respiratory system, especially of those with already compromised systems, such as asthmatics. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom