Diatomaceous earth--- Really that harmless?????

The clerk was on the right track... DE isn't good for us or chickens. Chickens Are said to have extremely sensitive respiratory systems like children and DE is microscopic, sharp particles like raw crystals. The difference between food grade and not is the heavy metal component, not sharpness. So, the heavy metals are filtered out to a degree but it can still reek havoc because of the size and shape of the particles. They become airborne very easily and it doesn't require a windy day. I personally, would not have this anywhere near my family or animals. There are plenty of alternatives to make avoiding this, easy enough.

It's good to use in feed and the cans feed is stored in, especially if you've found any grain mites, and under straw/bedding in nests as a preventative.

This site is the first place I have seen about everyone dislikes DE for
One reason or another. I have a barn cat that had a bloated belly. I was shopping
For a tape worm med and couldn't find any. I was at rural king and the lady told
Me about DE and swears by it. Cats belly is better. Iv been mixing it in a
5 gallon bucket with their dry food.

The Warsaw spca recommends it for feral cats. Maybe chickens are a different
Story? I'm going to apply to my cats for fleas and ticks this summer.

I don't use it because a long time ago I Researched and it seemed that did say you could use it with chickens but then went on to caution that even the food grade DE isn't good for lungs. Having birds get very sick from just the dust off wood shavings I couldn't see the logic in letting them breathe that stuff in on purpose.

Oh and the fact that for every person saying it's wonderful their birds never get worms lice whatever there is five more saying their birds got worms lice whatever and it didn't do diddly squat. I can't help but put two and two together and wonder if the ones didn't get sick wouldn't have with or without it.

A lot of DE's popularity is due to the fact that too many people believe everything they read on the Internet.

I won't use DE because of it's capability of lung damage......
Ditto Dat^^^

I don't use it because it makes absolutely no sense to do so and a lot of sense to NOT do so.
That's for sure......

Except I do keep some on hand in case I get grain mites in a bag of feed, I found it does work very well for that after getting several infested bags last year.
I also put some under nest bedding and in other cracks and crevices in the coop where it can't become airborne.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom