Diatomaceous Earth (Where do you buy it in GA?)

mazdacrzy

Chirping
14 Years
Dec 16, 2008
Winder, Georgia
This question is mainly for georgia people. Where do you get food grade Diatomaceous Earth here? It sounds like a good product to use, but since I am new to the world of chickens I am still trying to figure out where I get everything I need. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I ordered mine over the internet. Just google food grade DE or fossil shell flour and a whole list of places come up. Hope this helps.

I think food grade vs not is just a price scam. DE is DE no matter what grade you buy. They are a micro-organism no matter how clean it is. The food grade is just a clean factor and you birds eat dirt all the time so I doubt they care if it is food grade or not.

I use regular DE from the garden store. You don't want them to breath it no matter what grade you use. You also don't want to breath it.

The link above talks about using it dry on the floor of the coop. DE contains above 70% silica which is a carcinogen. Wear a mask when handling DE and it is a very bad idea to spred it dry on bedding. As the chickens scratch the bedding it will put DE dust into the air and when you walk into the coop you breath it.....and the chickens breath it all the time.

Last edited:
Feel free to teach me....I am very open minded, but food grade DE is food grade based on human standards, not livestock standards. Unless you are eating it, you don't need fod grade.

I have understood from my own research that there are two main types of diatomaceous earth - the non-scientific reference to the types are basically freshwater and saltwater organisms. The saltwater type has more silica, and is therefore slightly more hazardous for ingestion. The freshwater type has less silica and is safe to take internally.

That's the short version - there is much more out there on this topic, LOL!

Well, its probably a three hour drive from where you are, but the Fannin County co-op sells it now. It comes from Custom Milling, who has distributors around GA. Maybe you can find one closer to you. I used to live in Gwinnett County, but didnt have chickens then.

Back
Top Bottom