Diatomaceous Earth, WHO USES IT?

missred871

Eggxhausted Momma
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Perry GA
Okay so I was considering Ag Lime to kill the stench but I have been looking up DE which I had heard about before getting poultry a couple years ago. I noticed ti was a bit high priced and you cant believe what you read when it comes to websites that sell DE because thats like believing a tv commercial for your baby can read. LMAO. Okay soooooo I want to know who uses it, what they use it for and how well it works for them.

THANKS GUYS

A friend gave us some and we love it. It might be a bit pricey but it lasts along time. Our coop doesnt smell at all and I havent cleaned it completely out since last fall. The chips are dry and its been really wet here in Washington. It is really worth it.
frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif

I've used DE for mites and it works, I sure don't think it would do ANYTHING for odor. I got some stuff called BARN ODOR and Manure Digester Concentrate Made by IPS CareFree Enzymes Inc 1-888-462-0969, I bought the stuff from Jeffers and I love it. I called the 800 # to ask some questions and they were really helpful. I've used lime too, just make sure you get the garden lime that's safe.

I use FOOD GRADE DE in my coop. It does keep the odor down & the poop dries quicker. I mix a little with the shavings in the coop and nesting box. I think it keeps the bugs away. I also mix a little into the feed. My chickens haven't had any problems with worms.
fl.gif

It is a little bit pricey but it lasts a long time. I bought 10# for about $21.00 last April, 2009 and still have a little more than 1/2 the bag left.

SWEET PDZ! Get it! I am using it in my dog run
sickbyc.gif
which STANK to high heaven! Two 70# male dogs produce a lot of pee. I use DE in my coop and the run and in the hole in the ground the girls claimed as their dusting area. I also sprinkle it into their feed. Just don't use it on a wicked windy day, ACK!
tongue.gif
It makes you cough and it isn't good for your lungs. I know there are people that use SWEET PDZ only. It is great for odor and pest control as it is very drying and anything (bug-wise) that walks across it will just dry out and its safe for the birds to eat. I honestly don't find either one expensive...DE was only $17 and the Sweet PDZ was $18, for 40# bags. I only have a small flock (5 birds) but I guess if you have 40 or so birds, it adds up. But I would expect that if I have 40 birds.
I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild and I pay $45 per 30# bag and I think that's a steal. I have super healthy dogs and (knock-on-wood) they don't see the vet for anything but vaccines. You get what you pay for. You feed cheap, you get poor results. Same goes with supplies.

We're currently treating our flock with DE for a minor mite infestation. It seems to be working well. The only drawback is that I've yet to find it in Seattle, and we've had to drive out to the 'burbs (about 40 minutes away) to get it.

We use food grade DE on the run area, in the coop and sometimes in their feed, it keeps the fireants area, and the place smelling good. We have yet to get mites. We also feed it daily to our two 10 + year old dogs and two 16 year old cats and one active kitten, large flea problem here, even with proper medicine we get worms so having the DE has gotten ride of those and their digestive systems are healthier

For those who feed it, how much, how often? I have 12 chickens who are 2 1/2 months old.

Thanks!
Angie

Check at a nursery supply or landscaping place. We had mites so bad we built a new coop and burned the old one down. I got 25lbs of DE for 35$ at a nursery supply house. It is WONDERFUL!!!!! less smell, less flies (must stress less, not eliminated) and the litter is very dry. We love the stuff!!!
Mixed with wood chips litter and raked around every couple of weeks. Should last for months. We put a bit under the coop in the dusting area and they love it

Back
Top Bottom