Did you buy sexed Silkies from MyPetChicken.com and....

Here are my Silkies from MPC. The white one is supposed to be a Roo and is already acting like one. Although I am inexperienced since I've never had a Roo. This one flies up in the air and comes down almost on the others, acts like it's in charge and making sure everyone knows their place. In general just acts different than any of my hens have.

My white silkie that was supposed to be a roo crowed for the first time today. I had a feeling it was a roo from the get go. Seemed totally different than all the girls.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I've been very nervous about my bantam order from MPC that's due to ship at the end of May. I ordered six bantams -- 3 silkies, 2 Polish, and 1 Cochin frizzle. I've had so much heartbreak over the years getting so attached to chicks only to have some turn out to be cockerels. I have never purchased a cockerel -- pullets only -- but have ended up with four cockerels over the years. I'm not supposed to have roosters where I live, but my neighbors are also chicken owners and have been wonderfully tolerant. I still have one of my roosters, but will be heartbroken if my bantam order at the end of May includes a mis-sexed chick.

Thanks again for sharing your positive experience! Fingers crossed for the end of May.
fl.gif

I thought I should follow up to my earlier post by reporting that ALL of the female silkies I ordered turned out to be girls. Yay! Silkies are notorious for being difficult to sex correctly, so I'm thrilled that all three were exactly what I paid for. (So were the other 8 pullets I've ordered from MPC -- No more crying over surprise cockerels!)

Thank you, My Pet Chicken! You'd better believe that when I am ready for chicks again, I will be ordering from MPC -- worth every penny!

thumbsup.gif

I read somewhere else that perhaps they DNA test. People were arguing that it would be too costly but if they have it set up so they pay their own to do it I would imagine it would keep costs lower.. Or they just have really experienced sexers!

I don't know much about them, but doesn't MPC order their chicks from a hatchery, which would do the vent sexing of the chicks?

I don't know much about them, but doesn't MPC order their chicks from a hatchery, which would do the vent sexing of the chicks?

What I know about them came from further back on this thread. They source from Meyer but they have some special breeds that are exclusive to them and they also offer sexing on bantams which Meyer does not. So while the sexing of the birds they source from Meyer would most likely be done by Meyer, the others are unique to them.

Back
Top Bottom