Did you get any new books for Christmas?

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Did anyone here get any good books for Christmas? Have you started any of them yet? It seems like e-readers were a popular gift this year and many people have been busy reading on them!

I got wonderful guide book for bird watching that I have been wanting for a longggg time. It has amazing illustrations of each type of bird in North America and even shows the different patterns depending on the time of year, sex, and age of the bird.

I also got the two most recent books in the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay. He is such an amazing author! Definitely up there as one of my favorites.

My friend gave me a book called Small Gods by Terry Pratchett that I have been meaning to read. He is very much like Douglas Adams in his humor!

I got a $50 gift certificate for Amazon so will be loading all kinds down to my Kindle. Started with The Art of Fielding, Water for Elephants, and The Captured: A True Story of Abduction by Indians on the Texas Frontier. Now I can hunker down for the winter and read--although I finished the first two already.

Quote:
I had heard Water for Elephants was excellent. The movie looked very good and it was one I have been wanting to watch for a while now!

I got Rin Tin Tin, Betty and Friends (Betty White and zoo animals) Chickens, Mules, and Two Old Fools Ole (2nd in series) and The Eighty Dollar Champion

notice a 'theme' here???

Water for Elephants is a great book but it has so places that are tough to read --- that author has written several excellent horse books --

I am making myself read slowly in The Eighty Dollar Champion as I am enjoying it so much -- don't want it to end!

I am trying to get up the nerve to see the movie "War Horse" but even the previews make me cry --- friends saw this on stage in London and say it is the best play they've ever seen ---

Thanks for sharing the books you've gotten -- :)

I'm obsessed with Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I read three or four books at a time and I always have one of his in the rotation. I finished Small Gods over Thanksgiving. It is my goal to one day own every book in the series. This Christmas I bought myself The Truth and The Science of Discworld, and Alison Weir's The Lady in the Tower. I read Water for Elephants a couple years ago and I remember enjoying it.

Last edited:
I got a cookbook... does that count?
lol.png
I wish I had gotten some good reading books. My sister got a few, but I only remember To Have and to Hold, a collection of Rosemary Sutcliff, and a collection of Charlie Chan mysteries, which Mom said has to be for everyone.
tongue.png
My brother got 4 Hardy Boys mysteries.

Water for Elephants was excellent and I don't always enjoy reading fiction written by females in male voices but this was very well done. Don't start it unless you have time to finish it--although it is a fairly fast read. Took me about 4 hrs.

ETA: BTW, I have Amazon's Prime membership so I was able to borrow this without having to buy it. Saved me a few bucks toward the Prime membership along with the postage savings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom