Did you know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs?

Quote:
You make a good point! The Prey Model diet isn't for everyone. I like it, but I also have chickens, cats, parrots and other potentially tasty meals running around. I have fed my dogs raw, whole live locally caught fish, hair on and meat attached leg bones from game animals and I let them eat whatever rabbits, rodents, birds, and reptiles that they or my cat can catch. You can also buy blood, bone and organ meats from your butcher (gross, I know), but I don't go that far. Well, I do except for the blood. Because I'm not totally committed to the diet, I also feed kibble.

We used to feed our Lab's Raisens as a treat and grapes, they were always fine...but then again, more than once they got into the easter chocolate and christmas chocolate, once they downed an entire chocolate dacshund LOL that we were giving to a family friends kids, and they were fine. We still feed our dogs all kinds of foods, nothing has ever happened and I suppose we're just lucky.

Quote:
You make a good point! The Prey Model diet isn't for everyone. I like it, but I also have chickens, cats, parrots and other potentially tasty meals running around. I have fed my dogs raw, whole live locally caught fish, hair on and meat attached leg bones from game animals and I let them eat whatever rabbits, rodents, birds, and reptiles that they or my cat can catch. You can also buy blood, bone and organ meats from your butcher (gross, I know), but I don't go that far. Well, I do except for the blood. Because I'm not totally committed to the diet, I also feed kibble.

Do you have an internet links for the different types of diets? I don't want to do the live prey diet but after the China dog food scare, I would like to know what type of options that I have beyond dog food.

The white is the only part of the egg you shouldn't feed your dog, egg yolk on kibble is alright and we have been using it for years to give our puppies in order to fatten them up a bit and make the food more appealing when they are just being put on harder kibble.

WoW! I did not know that, and my 2 mini-poodles love grapes. Guess we'll be finding a new treat!

What about bell peppers, my little boy "Dunkin NoNuts" loves to raid my garden, he eats all my green bell peppers...please tell me they are o.k.??:eek:

Here's a little more information to explain about the problem with raw egg whites and biotin. Biotin is an essential water soluble B vitamin. Feeding a lot of raw egg white is a problem, because the avidin in it binds with biotin and can cause a deficiency. Cooking deactivates this effect, so cooked egg whites are no problem. Raw egg yolks contain so much biotin, that if you feed the entire raw egg, it's also not a problem. It's only a problem if you feed only the raw egg white and a lot of it.

Green peppers won't kill your dog, but if they give him gas like they do in some people, it might kill you!
sickbyc.gif

I had a APBT named Petey that would dig the jalapeno bits out of the trash (the ones I didn't use) and eat them all the time. I never saw a dog love peppers and pickled okra so much LoL

I give my dogs both raw and cooked eggs, since I don't do it everysingle day it has never been a problem here.

Ok kind of a dumb question here....But if you give your dogs raw eggs won't that turn them into egg stealers when the chickens are laying eggs??
Only reason I ask is one of our dogs became an "egg sucker/stealer".
It started when she found the abandoned geese eggs. Now if she gets the chance she will eat the eggs out of a nest(if the chicken is not laying in the coop).
I don't know how to stop her either, other than keeping her tied while outside. I can handle missing and egg here or there. But about a week ago she found a nest that had 20+ eggs(that I had been watching). By the time I got to her only 2 eggs were left.

Back
Top Bottom