Dirty Rearend

MesMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa
I have two hens that tend to have dirty rears, like all the feathers on their bums sometimes are wet looking with white and black poo (I'm assuming is what it is). The mess isn't chunky, just like they sat in diarrhea. They act fine, eat fine no obvious stuff going on. I've tried to inspect them when they're roosting, which is the only time I can get close to them, I bought them from a gal who was selling her flock and so they won't let me near them :/ So, on the roost the tend to sit with their butts toward the back, so I have a really hard time telling who is who and if I mess around too much my roo gets agitated and then everyone is stirred up
barnie.gif
I've wormed them once after I got them, which would've been about May. I haven't done yogurt in awhile, could try that. Anyone have any help they can offer? I would think if it was coccidia it would've spread to the others and it hasn't. Could be mites? Man, how do I get ahold of them to take a peek?? Could just be they need the yogurt??

Last edited:
To tell if they have mites, you will need to have someone help you catch them so you can have a look. Once you've got them and have them on their backs they should calm down. It's probably about time to worm again, I would do that. I use Strike III poultry de-wormer feed. Durvet makes it and there is no egg toss. Pro-biotic yogurt can help replenish good gut flora, I feed it every now and then as a treat. I had a hen who would always have a horribly pooey bottom even though I wormed them and fed her yogurt. I ended up putting her down last week because of a reproductive issue, but that's probably irrelevant. As long as they are eating and drinking and laying and not acting listless or tired, see what happens after you can catch them up and start worming them again.

Thank you :) I'm so afraid to traumatize them by having to chase them to catch them lol! But, really I don't want them to not trust me, you know? I will try tonight and have my hubby help me :) Thank you!

Here's a pic, it looks a little worse in person. It's hard to capture it in a picture

It happens to all my hens once a year or so. I think it is just caused by diarrhea basically. It always goes away on its own over time, maybe because the rain washes if off eventually.

The last time it happened I grabbed the hen and held its butt under the hose for a few minutes until it loosened up and fell off. It did not come back.

I believe it can possibly lead to other problems if left untreated for a long time, or be a symptom of other problems, like vent gleet, but I wouldn't assume the worst.

Last edited:
Well the thing that has me a little concerned is her rearend looks like that probably 50% of the time? She is one of the smaller hens, shy, tends to stay right beside the roo. I don't know, maybe she just doesn't clean herself like the others? Can't say as I've seen her take a bath like the others do, but I'm not out there all the time to know that for sure. I tried to corner her and grab her after I took the pic, yeah nope. Not happening. We'll try tonight when we lock them up :)

If it is mites or live wouldn't they all have the issue? Or can it just affect one or two?

Grab her' turn her sideways so she doesn't struggle, and rinse it clean. Then inspect the area for mites, and the vent for inflammation.

I do not believe mites could cause pasty butt, but you may as well check for everything while you have her. You can spray Permethrin on her rear after dabbing it dry, even if you don't see any mites.

Last edited:
Grab her off the roost at night and clean it off, maybe cut or pluck some the feathers off - the fluffier butted ones sometimes can't preen that stuff off.
Best to have help, hold her wings against her body, and don't let her feet get ahold of anything, so she can't struggle.

Back
Top Bottom