Dirty Rearend

MesMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Iowa
I have two hens that tend to have dirty rears, like all the feathers on their bums sometimes are wet looking with white and black poo (I'm assuming is what it is). The mess isn't chunky, just like they sat in diarrhea. They act fine, eat fine no obvious stuff going on. I've tried to inspect them when they're roosting, which is the only time I can get close to them, I bought them from a gal who was selling her flock and so they won't let me near them :/ So, on the roost the tend to sit with their butts toward the back, so I have a really hard time telling who is who and if I mess around too much my roo gets agitated and then everyone is stirred up
barnie.gif
I've wormed them once after I got them, which would've been about May. I haven't done yogurt in awhile, could try that. Anyone have any help they can offer? I would think if it was coccidia it would've spread to the others and it hasn't. Could be mites? Man, how do I get ahold of them to take a peek?? Could just be they need the yogurt??

Last edited:
Grab her' turn her sideways so she doesn't struggle, and rinse it clean. Then inspect the area for mites, and the vent for inflammation.

I do not believe mites could cause pasty butt, but you may as well check for everything while you have her. You can spray Permethrin on her rear after dabbing it dry, even if you don't see any mites.

Last edited:
Grab her off the roost at night and clean it off, maybe cut or pluck some the feathers off - the fluffier butted ones sometimes can't preen that stuff off.
Best to have help, hold her wings against her body, and don't let her feet get ahold of anything, so she can't struggle.

So it doesn't mention chickens, what is the dose for them?

The dose is 0.08ml per pound orally, which works out to about 1/2 cc for a six pound chicken. Anything bigger would need more, smaller birds a little less. Give once orally and repeat in 10 days. It's quite safe, so don't worry about giving a little more than they need.

-Kathy

My mom and I were just talking, she wants to use something else too now since I shared with her the info you gave about the Zyfend. Thinking it's a 3 person job, will have to do it at night, one to hold the bird, one to administer the med and one to hold a flashlight?
Headlight.......one of the best tools I ever bought.

Wow, yeah cha-ching! I think I'll just do the Valbazen, my mom and I are going to share it and both dose our chickens, since hers have never actually been wormed either, given the fact that she was using Zyfend as well
hmm.png

Wow, yeah cha-ching! I think I'll just do the Valbazen, my mom and I are going to share it and both dose our chickens, since hers have never actually been wormed either, given the fact that she was using Zyfend as well
hmm.png
Bang for the buck, Valbazen is the best choice.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom