Discarded produce from the market

Vicki B.

Songster
6 Years
Oct 10, 2017
Northern California
Has anyone else found a source of greens/produce to feed their flock from the fruit stand or market? I cannot afford to buy lettuce and greens for the large amount of chickens I have I just found out my market gives away their greens/trimmings they discard for free!! I am so thrilled.I got my first load today about 3/4 of a 55 gallon garbage can filled with lettuce and all types of greens. It is mostly organic too from my local co-op market.Summer pick up of greens might be a challenge due to the heat but I am so happy to find a free source of quality greens.

I've lived in this community, and bought groceries here for 50+ years. In all this time, only once have i been able to talk a store produce manager into giving me some old produce. "Because they save them for the pig farmers." I gave him my sad face, and told him I was a chicken farmer, and one single day last fall, he sent me home with a cart full of veggies. First and only time. A lot of those veggies were as good as what I buy from thier shelves on my shopping trips! Go figure!

Because the chances of getting some of that glut are non existent for me, I sprout grains for my girls in the frozen tundra season.

We know our produce manager and they put the veggies and fruits in 55 gal buckets with ice to keep it fresh. We pick it up about 10 am. I sort thru it to get onions, garlic and avocados out of it. A great amount of the food is still good quality. You would not believe all the foods I have put up from their throw aways. Helps us out and the chickens. If an apple or pear, etc has a tiny bruise, they won't sell it. Lettuce, cabbage etc just needs the outer leaves removed and is really good. I take advantage of it to help us and my chicks. He lines the cans with clean plastic and we fill the car and go thru it when we get home.

I volunteer at a local food bank. We compost all the damaged produce, bread, open food... On the days I'm there, I take it home. I have a fenced off area to keep the dogs out of it and it will keep them busy for a few days. What they don't eat just becomes compost.
I live in a city that requires all restaurants, craft brewers, landscaping companies... to compost. They'll have dedicated garbage totes just for compost. I've been known to help myself and usually have a few 5 gal buckets in the car just in case.

Last edited:
I volunteer at a local food bank. We compost all the damaged produce, bread, open food... On the days I'm there, I take it home. I have a fenced off area to keep the dogs out of it and it will keep them busy for a few days. What they don't eat just becomes compost.
I live in a city that requires all restaurants, craft brewers, landscaping companies... to compost. They'll have dedicated garbage totes just for compost. I've been known to help myself and usually have a few 5 gal buckets in the car just in case.

Yes, this grocery stores gives to the needy also. This is foods that they take off the shelves after they box up for churches, otherwise it goes into dumpster. What my chickens don't eat also goes into my compost for my gardens. It is amazing how much food is wasted in the US. I think all stores should give to the needy. Some resturants also give to give cooked foods to needy families.

Back
Top Bottom