tongue.png
, and I can report that my weights were:

Larry (5 mo BBB tom): 30 lbs of skinless bone-in parts, including neck
and back but not giblets or wingtips;

Curly (5 mo BBB hen): 20 lbs, skin-on whole, including neck but not
giblets or wingtips

Moe (5 mo BBB hen): 17 lbs, skin-on whole, including neck and gizzard
but not other giblets or wingtips

And may I say, it requires an exercise in considerable creativity to find food-grade bags large enough to get them packaged in some way shape or form, especially the two whole hens.

Never again am I growing a turkey past about 25-30 lbs live weight, absolute maximum!

Pat

Actually, with a few modifications, it might work okay for chickens. After all, it was inspired by some of the tricks taught me by my chicken-raising mentor and BYC member al6517 . He taught me to wrap wire around the chicken's feet and hang it from something, and I bought this deer dressing stand cheap at an auction just for that purpose. It wasn't a huge leap to go from wiring a chicken's feet and hanging it for slaughter to tying a turkey's. It just made sense to then use the rope for leverage to get it off the ground.

Hopefully you can answer some questions. Do you feed the turkeys anything special the days up to slaughter? Do you withhold food before slaughter? thanks.

So far I have only raised BB Whites for slaughter, and they don't need any special feed at the end. At least these didn't. I figured they were big enough already.
lol.png

And I withheld feed for 24 hours before butchering, but gave them all the water they wanted.

For heritage breeds, I'm sure the pros here can tell you much better than I on what to feed them leading up to slaughter.

I am inspired...

Mostly inspired not to put this off any longer. I have 3 BBB behemoths (and one hen who is quite large but not as massive as the 3 toms) that are nearing, well, you know.

I am a rather petite woman, and this should be interesting. The usual branch I use for the chickens won't be high enough (or sturdy enough) and I am afraid I'll need to rig up some sort of pulley system!!

Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Actually, I bid on some pulleys at an auction shortly after I did this guy and before I did the rest, but alas, as sometimes happens at those things, somebody wanted it more than I and it was getting way to near the price of a new pulley! So,I passed.

But your idea is a good one. No reason to do things the hard way if you don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom