Dissapearing beards?

Amy's Animals

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Southern Oregon
I have 3 EE's that have muffs and beards. At first, I noticed that one of the hens was losing her beard, its just a bald spot at her throath now, and now my EE rooster is losing his as well. The third hen's beard is intact. These are all healthy chickens, no deceases or pests that I'm aware of. Should I suspect a pecking issue?

Yes! It's a pretty common problem.
sad.png

I don't know that I would suspect a pecking problem if it is only their beard. Pickers usually go for the feathers right above the tail, since they are easiest to pick. Have you checked them over for lice and mites really well?

Amy's Animals :

I have 3 EE's that have muffs and beards. At first, I noticed that one of the hens was losing her beard, its just a bald spot at her throath now, and now my EE rooster is losing his as well. The third hen's beard is intact. These are all healthy chickens, no deceases or pests that I'm aware of. Should I suspect a pecking issue?

Most likely. And it sounds like your 3rd hen is the culprit. I'd be quick to establish who is it and try and resolve the issue before the other birds learn a new trick. You have my fullest sympathies. I have just gone through the same thing and it became potentially lethal-my Polish were getting some good pecks on the noggin. I had left the issue unresolved for so long that even the young ones were learning this new trick. At the point were some of my birds could have been damaged for life did I really take action. Even taking away birds for an isolation period, hot-pick, or pine tar did nothing to stop the issue. The only way we were able to stop it was by removing the bullying peckers. We gave them so some friends of ours. And now our birds are much better mannered and some have regrown feathers for the first time in over a year.

However, besides the cause being a bad habit, it could also be because they aren't getting enough protein (feathers and blood drawn by pecking contains protein) or do not have enough room/are bored. Look into those first.​

Yep- we have a gorgeous EE who sports the smallest of beards...so she eats everyone else's to be certain no one else can top hers.

Everyone looks like they have these grizzled red necks w/stubble...nice!
barnie.gif

My EEs loose their beards every year about this time...by late fall they are in full molt and in winter all the feathers come back including their beards and muffs.

Back
Top Bottom