No eggs, now no shells

Aml91

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
I have 5 layers (3 Barred Rocks, 1 Black Copper Maran, 1 EE). The EE was laying just about every day through the fall and into the winter (it's been really mild this year), but we got a cold snap in January and she stopped laying altogether. My others slowed around that time too, but in the last few weeks the other 4 have been laying really well.
Over the last couple week the EE has been acting interested in the nesting box again. Then I found an egg with no shell just outside in the grass (we free range). Didn't know who laid it, but then I found two more in the coop over the next couple days, and I'm sure it's the EE. I refilled their oyster shells, and someone told me to feed her milk, which I will try today. She seems like she could be losing feathers too, but nothing dramatic. Everyone eats the same things, she's probably the lowest on the pecking order but she looks healthy.
Anything else I should try?

I have 5 layers (3 Barred Rocks, 1 Black Copper Maran, 1 EE). The EE was laying just about every day through the fall and into the winter (it's been really mild this year), but we got a cold snap in January and she stopped laying altogether. My others slowed around that time too, but in the last few weeks the other 4 have been laying really well.
Over the last couple week the EE has been acting interested in the nesting box again. Then I found an egg with no shell just outside in the grass (we free range). Didn't know who laid it, but then I found two more in the coop over the next couple days, and I'm sure it's the EE. I refilled their oyster shells, and someone told me to feed her milk, which I will try today. She seems like she could be losing feathers too, but nothing dramatic. Everyone eats the same things, she's probably the lowest on the pecking order but she looks healthy.
Anything else I should try?
Hello! I would up the protein if she's going through a molt, but then she wouldn't be laying.... If you're sure she's the one laying the shelless eggs I would dose her with calcium citrate until she starts to lay strong shelled eggs. As.for dairy, I give mine plain full fat yogurt, not milk every once in awhile.

Gotcha. She laid another one this morning, so definitely her. What format does calcium citrate come in?

Gotcha. She laid another one this morning, so definitely her. What format does calcium citrate come in?
Larger, elongated capsule. Chickens can swallow them whole. Pull her wattles down and pop it in. We have this brand. You can use whatever brand is available
Screenshot_20240217-075702_Brave.jpg

Birds coming back into lay can have problematic eggs. Very likely even if you do nothing, it'll resolve itself in a few weeks. But doesn't hurt to try the calcium citrate to see if that helps fix the problem, and then gradually ease off on it.

I gave the girls yogurt yesterday and today, and just as I was going out to administer the calcium citrate, she was laying an egg without shell OR membrane, just the white and the yolk and the membrane all disconnected. That seems like a big step backwards and fraught with infection potential. She did get the calcium citrate down, should I just watch and wait and keep doing the yogurt and pills?

We feed them a scratch mix, 18% protein layer pellets, and they free range. She eats the same diet as my other 4, and they're all laying healthy eggs with good shells. I had gotten low on oyster shells but I put them back out Wednesday. They get various scraps too (apples, lettuce), but nothing out of the ordinary recently.

Back
Top Bottom