Dixie Rainbow Grow Out Journal - S&G Poultry

Bump....just wnated to keep the thread active
big_smile.png

Quote:
these guys are on business to make money, do you think they will just thro 30 years of scientific resarch to start NEW blood line of realy fast growing chickens..??
roll.png
the "Breed" is also a 4 way breed line? WHY?...because of the same reazon they just don´t sell the faster growing and meatieir SIRE line of Broilers...they eat too much and dont lay very well, thats why they have a DAME line, to lower production costs, get more eggs for less feed...I bet they wont breed true...
cool.png

Did you hear back from S&G. On another thread someone else called and they had it confirmed that the Rainbows will breed true.

If I was going to develop my own breed of chicken this is exactly what I would do. A "true" breed that would be ready to process within 12-14 weeks.

Last edited:
Sorry there was no update this week. I always weigh and take pics on Monday but I had to work that day, and the entire week was crazy. Here are a few items I can update for this week.

They finished the 1st 100lbs bag.

We lost our first chick of this batch. One of the larger yellows (roo). Found him cold when I went out to feed Monday morning. Very unusual this far along.

Chicks moved out onto pasture today (Thursday).

They are extremely active and loads of fun to watch. The activity level is at the same level of my Dels and Javas. They have a very large vertical jump that they love to use to grab bugs right out of the air.

Did you hear back from S&G. On another thread someone else called and they had it confirmed that the Rainbows will breed true.

I talked on the phone with Danny for some time last week about his birds and all his great work he has done over the years to make these birds.

He stated to me that it is possible to breed them, BUT with out a real hard culling and very extent knowledge of what you are doing, the offspring would be all over the board on weights. He also stated that out of 2,000 birds only 200 or so would even be eligible to become a breeder.​

Any more updates? Just curious if you are having the same issues with your birds as another poster who had birds vary greatly in size. At 11 weeks his were anywhere from 1.1lbs to 5.5lbs I beleive
sad.png
. Just curious as I am interested in S&G's product.

I'm still here, but have been having some health problems and was in the hospitol for a few days last week. I plan to weigh and take pictures next Monday if another crisis does not take place. I will say that my older batch is 12 weeks old and are not ready to process yet. I am guessing that they will need another week or two to be at my 4lb goal. I do not have the size issues that have been mentioned above. Some of that may be to the fact that I did sell 25 of the older batch and the larger birds were picked by my customers.

Sorry guys, I ended up in the ER twice this summer, and finally had surgery 2 weeks ago to have my gall bladder out. Unfortunetely, I was not able to keep up with all my data on the Rainbows. So here is my opinion of Dixie Rainbows.

I am very dissapointed with my results. These birds were just processed this week averaging 4.5-5lbs. I currently have August chicks that are not much larger than the size of my fist. It seems a waste of $$$ to feed these birds, but don't know what else to do. It seems such a waste after the great results I had with my CRB from J&M. I did keep a few DR hens back from my first batch and they started laying at 5 months.

Sorry to hear about your health problems. That makes keeping up with the chickens a real chore. Hope your on the road to well recovery for the holidays.

The order I received from S&G is still up in the air. I am selling most of mine live with target weights of 5 lbs. The first group of 20 went at 9 weeks and averaged 5.35 lb live weight. I still have some smaller ones so expect a big drop at the end. I'll post all the results when done but my impression is there might be some inconsistency in the supply.

Back
Top Bottom