Dixie Rainbow Grow Out Journal - S&G Poultry

I had 4 differnet batches, and the results were all over the road, so I am also wondering the same thing. Also wondering about climate as these were developed down south, and we had a very cool/cold summer and fall here in Michigan.

Last edited:
Climate probably has a lot to do with it. They are acclimated, genetically, to a warmer temp which in turn enables them to forage faster and for longer. The blood flow would be better, and day length longer, along with relative temperature. That being said, the activity level of the bugs and grass growth also flows along the same lines. I myself would say those factors had a lot to play with growth. We had a cool summer and a hot fall, it has caused our animals to be thrown off. My spring grasses are sprouting right now, it hit 50's today after getting 7" of snow a week ago. If you kept some hens back, then maybe the adaptation ability of the hens will offset the difference in terms of temperature tolerance, and day length.

Sorry but that doesn't fly. I am down south (Middle Tennessee) and I had trouble with these birds (read S&G fiasco thread). The genetics at S&G just aren't up to a commercial level. They may be one day but not yet.

On a positive note the hens that I held back do make good layers. I will be interested to see where this breed is at in a few years. I just think they do not have all the kinks worked out yet, but I love the idea of having a true breed meat bird. Hopefully they will get the consistancy thing worked out.

zephyrcreek - that's great to know that they are good layers. I had heard that they could be, but never knew of anyone who had them. I kept two hens for myself as layers and sold the other five hens. I only butchered the roos. I think I'll do the cornish next year for meat birds. I will say that they are beautiful birds. The roosters are gorgeous, especially the red barred.

I see this is nearly a yer old thread. Have a question though.
Has anyone ever ordered anymore of these Dixie Rainbows? They look very nice and was thinking about ordering some myself. How long did it take to grow them out and what kind of dressed weight did you get?

I raised these last year and was very disappointed. I believe we butchered at 13 or 14 weeks and most of the birds were small: 3-4 lbs dressed. My digital kitchen scale only goes to 4 1/2 lbs and I had a handful of birds over that. For the amount of food they ate, I don't think they were worth it.

Quote:
We just processed our first batch of meaties (Rangers) at 12 weeks...the dressed weight ranges from 5 1/4 to 7 3/4 lbs, with only two out of 20 under 6 lbs. And weeks 8, 9, and 10 we had a horrible heat wave, temps near 100 with high humidity (in Upstate NY!!!) and as I said, it was nonstop for three weeks. The poor birds sat in the shade, dug into the dirt, wings out, panting, for most of every day. I know they didn't eat much that whole time, pretty much only morning and evening. I can't imagine how big they'd have been if they'd actually eaten for those three weeks!

And we had them in a new run, but not big enough for real free ranging, so this was all on commercial feed. Now, though, I might try the Rainbows for comparison. The Rangers have a good amount of breast meat, and the first one we roasted was 6 1/2 pounds - we got eight adult meals from it, not counting soup from the carcass. Not bad for a "real" chicken!

Back
Top Bottom