DIY Heated Chicken Waterer

jbrianchamberli

Songster
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Bought a bucket with a lid, a couple of chicken nipples from Amazon Prime, a submersible aquarium heater and ..... drum roll please..... ended up with a frozen bucket and some pissed off chickens. Went to the feed store and bought the metal warmer that goes under metal waters. Oh well. Not sure why it didn’t work. I even used two heaters.

Mine works, i make sort of like the cookie tin waterer. I put pictures on my thread Helpful Hints for Building coops. It is towards the current end of the thread.
20171224_163813.jpg

Aquarium heaters aren't always the best choice, depending on how cold it gets in your area. Were the heaters putting off any heat? If you used a 250 watt stock tank de-icer, you would have been fine. They are horizontal nipples, right?

Bought a bucket with a lid, a couple of chicken nipples from Amazon Prime, a submersible aquarium heater and ..... drum roll please..... ended up with a frozen bucket and some pissed off chickens. Went to the feed store and bought the metal warmer that goes under metal waters. Oh well. Not sure why it didn’t work. I even used two heaters.

What wattage is the heater? Did you insulate the bucket?

JT

Back
Top Bottom