DIY incubator heating

HJB9216

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
I’m trying to improve my DIY incubator and work on keeping the heating more consistent. Incandescent bulbs are no longer being made what heat source can be used? Can I use a halogen light bulb?

Try the high efficiency incandescent equivalent. They still emit heat but use less watts to do it. It was frustrating trying to find incandescent so we turned to that as an option and it seems to be working.

Try the high efficiency incandescent equivalent. They still emit heat but use less watts to do it. It was frustrating trying to find incandescent so we turned to that as an option and it seems to be working.
Ok, thank you! I think we’ll use a halogen light bulb. Glad it’s working for you!

Around me they still sell old style bulbs (also used in metal reflective heat lamps) at dollar general. I used the in my DIY monster gator I made and hatched hundred of bird with it. Need to dig it up and clean for this summer/fall use.

I like to use the heat generating Edison style filament incandescent E17 sized "smallish" bulbs in 25 and 40 watt which are commonly and affordably available online and are often used and marketed for use in/repair of "Lava Lamps", for one particular bulb application example.
I use an inexpensive e26 standard bulb base to to e17 Socket adapter to rig em up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/incubator-light-bulb-life.1431605/#post-26618408

K :)

You can just buy a heat element off Amazon, eBay, or many other places. My home made incubator I made from a glass door beverage fridge, I use reptile heat film. It comes in different widths. I got 12" wide and lined the walls with it. With a couple fans, I have no hot spots.

qhl29FH.jpg

jELHWO6.jpg

That "flex wat" style heat tape is an inspired way to repurpose reptile heat tape to hatch eggs. it makes perfect sense to me .I'm sure that it is relatively simple and easy to set up and would be oh-so efficient.
A brilliantly simple and safe hot spot free heating element.I like it. :)

K :)

Back
Top Bottom