DIY incubator - recommendations?

Sakmeht

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Hi all,

So there's a bunch of diy incubators on this site and I am completely overwhelmed! Is there a particular build that is easy-ish to put together, cheap, and reliable? Any firsthand experience with any of them? My hubby can help me put one together, but we're on a budget.

Thanks!

I've built a number of them and they're a fun build and each one is sort of unique.

I recommend that your husband spend a few hours watching videos. Rush Lane Poultry. These videos are on YouTube and also on his site. He's built them for years and years and made a dozen videos. He makes improvements and adaptions over the years. For instance, in his earlier videos, he used an adapted hot water heater thermostat. Too fussy and a bit inaccurate. He's now using better thermostats from Incubators Warehouse.

Rush Lane has 6-8 basic videos. Watch them all. Well worth the time. A good incubator can be built for as little as $35 but it will be manual turning. But, to build at this price, you have to have a lot of stuff laying around and/or be a really good scrounger. If you buy all this stuff, you may as well buy a $45 Little Giant at Tractor Supply, on sale, and stick a $4 computer fan in it. Not much difference in price, really.

You can do it under 20$.

7G styrofoam cooler 5$
20w candelabra kit (socket, cord, plug) 12$
20w candelabra light bulb pack 3-5$
Roll of duct tape
3x5 picture frame glass
Bottled water

Install kit midway up on short end of cooler through wall, secure with duct tape on outside.

Install glass in cooler top, secure with tape.

Lay bottled water on cooler floor near light source, 1-2" away, to serve as heat sink to regulate temp.

Keep eggs far enough from light where temps are 99-101f. You can push analog thermometer through side wall to monitor temps. If running hot. Shield eggs partially with tin foil and punch vent holes directly above light source.

You can do it under 20$.

7G styrofoam cooler 5$
20w candelabra kit (socket, cord, plug) 12$
20w candelabra light bulb pack 3-5$
Roll of duct tape
3x5 picture frame glass
Bottled water

Install kit midway up on short end of cooler through wall, secure with duct tape on outside.

Install glass in cooler top, secure with tape.

Lay bottled water on cooler floor near light source, 1-2" away, to serve as heat sink to regulate temp.

Keep eggs far enough from light where temps are 99-101f. You can push analog thermometer through side wall to monitor temps. If running hot. Shield eggs partially with tin foil and punch vent holes directly above light source.

OH this thread is great yay! I've been shopping for a incubator and the problem I'm having is I want one made in USA well or European would be okay.. fessing up :D I can't buy made in china (EW) Then started thinking maybe I could make one, I'm pretty handy. I'm seeing some online guides that use aquarium heaters and all kinds of things.. very interesting!

I would really love to have a digital incubator I think and def a egg turner but I can turn them myself too.. if I start small and try a few small batches first ... oh got the fever!

I've built a number of them and they're a fun build and each one is sort of unique.

I recommend that your husband spend a few hours watching videos. Rush Lane Poultry. These videos are on YouTube and also on his site. He's built them for years and years and made a dozen videos. He makes improvements and adaptions over the years. For instance, in his earlier videos, he used an adapted hot water heater thermostat. Too fussy and a bit inaccurate. He's now using better thermostats from Incubators Warehouse.

Rush Lane has 6-8 basic videos. Watch them all. Well worth the time. A good incubator can be built for as little as $35 but it will be manual turning. But, to build at this price, you have to have a lot of stuff laying around and/or be a really good scrounger. If you buy all this stuff, you may as well buy a $45 Little Giant at Tractor Supply, on sale, and stick a $4 computer fan in it. Not much difference in price, really.

Just got done watching Rush Lanes videos... I'm making one! Love how he has the turner set up very easy. I just need to buy a 30 egg turner rack and the thermostat everything else I have laying around here. WOOT.

I've noticed that Styrofoam coolers seem to be a more mainstream route for DIY incubators. Especially when trying to stay under $20. Kip here built one for under $20 which you can see in this video. IncuKits are a great option for an all-in-one "brain" for your incubator. They hold temperature very well and have received lots of good reviews. You can read some of them here.

This is a nice kit here you have. Using this next time I make another coolerbator! I have a Rubbermaid 48Qt cooler incubator I made and its really nice to keep temp and humidity regualting is a breeze. I use a wafer thermostat in this one and I really like it but the digital thermostats are very appealing and will try that next.

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html

Last edited:
Build borrow or steal a box.

Then wire it up like this.
25qpqxh.jpg

This has a little cost as you are buying relays, a thermostat & the lighting etc.
But its a lot more perminant - I built this one 2 years ago & have been hatching over & over.

If you build a box - for something more perminant - build it large enough to place a brinsea automatic turner inside - those make it so much more simple.

I was given a styrofoam cooler from the hospital from shipped medical supplies. They throw them away all the time! I pulled several hot water heater thermostats at the dump and contrary to what I've been told they've worked great for me!

Back
Top Bottom